• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford jacket on ebay - question

Ed355

Reaction score
This jacket is described as NWOT and a size 40R, but the measurements look more like a 38S. What is the practice these days when sellers describe their goods as NWOT? Is it supposed to really mean (brand) new without tags, new condition, or something else? I have always thought it's the former, but clearly not many sellers on ebay adopt the same principle.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whatever it is, i doubt it is really NWOT. as doc says, too many people stretch this definition.

the only way i would believe that an oxxford is NWOT is if it's clearly unaltered - i.e., the sleeve buttons have not been sewn on.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ed355
This jacket is described as NWOT and a size 40R, but the measurements look more like a 38S. What is the practice these days when sellers describe their goods as NWOT? Is it supposed to really mean (brand) new without tags, new condition, or something else? I have always thought it's the former, but clearly not many sellers on ebay adopt the same principle.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting

For eBay marketing purposes, NWOT means New WITHOUT Tags. The first three sentences of the main auction text lead me to believe the seller is not a native speaker of English. "New" can mean many things to many people. Many eBay auctions clearly state BNWT to mean Brand New WITH Tags. That is not the case in this auction.

At the Buy It Now price of one hundred seventy-five dollars, does it really matter as long as one likes the coat and the fit is good? Sufficient measurements are provided for most buyers to make a decision. Several photos show the jacket's general condition. The seller's feedback is very good. What else could a serious bargain hunter seriously ask for under the circumstances? This is a chance for someone to buy what seems to be a new or nearly new Oxxford jacket for LESS THAN ten per cent of its normal retail price.

The jacket clearly has no tags on it in the photos. The lower left photo shows enough of the sleeve to verify this. That supports the NWOT description. Additionally, there is no basting thread visible. So, it is more likely that the jacket was sold and then returned to the retailer.

As for sleeve buttons already being in place (mentioned in one response), many Oxxford retailers actually order the garments with buttons sewn in place, but no buttonholes cut. Not every brand new Oxxford is made with unfinished sleeve cuffs. The retailer dictates this when the merchandise is ordered from Oxxford.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Measurements are perfectly in line with a 40R.

Note that length measure is from bottom of collar. Collar will add 1.5 to 2 in, for a total measure in back of 31 or 32. That's a R. Chest measure plus 2 to 4 is standard for sizing. BB is 4, Oxxford is 2 or 3.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
As for sleeve buttons already being in place (mentioned in one response), many Oxxford retailers actually order the garments with buttons sewn in place, but no buttonholes cut. Not every brand new Oxxford is made with unfinished sleeve cuffs. The retailer dictates this when the merchandise is ordered from Oxxford.

Yeah, I know all this. For ebay purchasing purposes, though, I would treat all allegations of NWOT to be in like new condition and bid accordingly, unless I have some proof that it is indeed NWOT.

The proof can be derived from numerous sources, and where oxxford is concerned, unaltered sleeves is very compelling. You can also go by past experience with a seller and other sorts of proof, but that's up to you.

Yeah, this downgrades the suits that came with the buttons on it. That's the way it goes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads