1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Oxxford gibbons model

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Jun 20, 2004.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I recently tried on an Oxxford Gibbons model, which seemed to me a 180* difference from the Manhattan, which I really despise. I was wondering whether anyone has ever tried on or has this model, because I'd love to have it replicated from Chan. (I would have bought the suit -- it was $750 -- but I really just don't like unlined pants for some reason -- am I crazy?). If you do know anything about this cut, what are your thoughts, as I'd like a second opinion.

2. HRHAndrew

HRHAndrew Senior Member

I am a very big fan of the Gibbons. In fact, I was sad that I ever tried it on, as I used to just pass by the Oxxford suits because never liked them before. That was of course before I first tried on the Gibbons. If you like the Gibbons, you will probably like the Oxxford Crest Line as well. And of course you can't beat Oxxford quality. As for the unlined pants, personal preferences are the hardest to overcome sometimes.

3. pgoat

pgoat Senior Member

Does anyone know if the current 2 button Gibbons with high notch (gorge?) and 32" jacket hem (for a 46R) would flatter a guy with my build?

Strong shoulders and chest but a bit of gut and wide hips, also short legs - 30" inseam. I am more long in the torso and usually prefer pleated pants on my natural waist to balance things out.

Thanks.

4. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Not at all; I pretty much need a lining or else I'll stretch the knees.

5. johnnynorman

johnnynorman Well-Known Member

Funny to read the old thread -- I'm fine with unlined pants now, but prefer lined ones. Also, a bit of expert tailoring and the Manhattan can look great on a thinner guy, though I still wish Oxxford cut their Court model pants a bit slimmer.

As for the Gibbons, I think it is a flattering cut. The button stance is a little higher, a little longer line through the torso, and slighly wider shoulders (but lightly padded, at most, with no roping).

Are you going MTM or OTR? If the former, you might also want to check out the new Radcliffe model, which I think is more elegantly modern than the Gibbons.

6. pgoat

pgoat Senior Member

I'm doing OTR