• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford crest

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I saw some Oxxford Clothes Oxxford Crest suits at Neiman Marcus today. None of them was in my size, so I didn't try any of them on. Can anyone tell me if there is any difference in cut, fabric, or construction quality between Oxxford Crest and regular Oxxford?

Thanks.

regularjoe

Reaction score
The way I understand it, Oxxford Crest is a slimmer silhouette than the traditional Oxxford line. My guess regarding to materials and construction is that it's on par.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is a much dressier cut - the shoulder line is less natural, the waist is more tapered and they are doing a lot of single breasted peak lapel. The cut reminds me of the suits worn in "The Sting." Very nice suits...

rjsphd

Reaction score
I went to a Oxxford trunk show in Boston last week and the rep told me the essential difference in the Crest model is the rope shoulder instead of the traditional soft shoulder. They will do whatever you want in terms of customization on the Crest, just as they do with their other models. The rep was wearing a Crest model and it was definitely a firmer shoulder than what I associated with Oxxford previously. More like a Zegna?

Rob

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Another difference between most of Oxxford's lines(Renaissance, Salvatore, Manhattan) and Oxxford Crest: the RTW Oxxford Crest suits I saw were fully lined. As most of you probably already know, Oxxford's suits and jackets are usually quarter-lined.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Oxxford Crest is the name of what they had intended to call Oxxford Couture by Jack Simpson. Jack Simpson designed the Oxxford Crest line.
I wish that Oxxford Crest would have been quarter lined. I really like Oxxford's doublesided buttonholes, and it is obvious that they are very sturdy buttonholes. I wish that Oxxford would still make doublesided buttonholes but use a thinner thread so that the buttonholes might blend in a little better.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wish that Oxxford Crest would have been quarter lined.
Well, I'm sure that you could always get one made quarter-lined. Of course, MTM never goes on sale and won't be on eBay for pennies on the dollar.
mad.gif

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxxford Crest is the name of what they had intended to call Oxxford Couture by Jack Simpson.  Jack Simpson designed the Oxxford Crest line.
I wish that Oxxford Crest would have been quarter lined.  I really like Oxxford's doublesided buttonholes, and it is obvious that they are very sturdy buttonholes.  I wish that Oxxford would still make doublesided buttonholes but use a thinner thread so that the buttonholes might blend in a little better.
Is it true that Oxxford usually quarter lines their jackets?

Also, why is quarter lined more attractive than fully lined? I know that it may be "cooler," but personally I like a fully lined jacket. Maybe I've been brainwashed.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I like quarter lining simply for the fact that in the event that an alteration needs to be done the tailor won't have to undo a good bit of the lining(extra labor cost), and I really do like the "clean" look inside.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is it true that Oxxford usually quarter lines their jackets?

Yes; it's an Oxxford trademark.

Also, why is quarter lined more attractive than fully lined? I know that it may be "cooler," but personally I like a fully lined jacket. Maybe I've been brainwashed.

I like it for a number of reasons. First, to be perfectly honest, there's the snob appeal: I like the fact that the suits have a feature that most people wouldn't notice and wouldn't appreciate. Second, I like to be able to see the workmanship of the inside of the jacket (expecially Oxxford's bellows pockets), and the quarter lining. I think that the quarter lining makes the inside of the jacket look cleaner and more meticulous. Finally, there's obviously the coolness factor.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JohnnyN - you can hide a lot of sloppy construction details with a full lining. That doesn't mean a fully lined jacket is not constructed just as well but with the 1/4 lining you are not able to hide anything.

I like it too but Jcusey and I both live in cities where joggers tend to burst into flames after a few yards from July to September. Might not be such a fan if I lived in a place that had 'Moose', 'Glacier' or 'Frozen' in the name.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that you can hide crappy workmanship, but I'm not worried about that in a fully lined Oxxford. I was under the impression that the quarter lining was an "older trademark" of Oxxford, since I saw about two dozen of the recent year Oxxfords with full lining.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, you don't ever have to worry about shoddy workmanship from Oxxford :)

Might be more the result of the season??? Just wondering aloud if you were looking at a winter season collection??

Still, even most heavier weight Oxxfords are qtr lined.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Just took a look at the Oxxford Crest offerings of Saks and NM on Michigan Avenue in Chicago, and they're 1/4-lined.  The full lining of the Oxxford Crest suits at the Northbrook NM store must have been requested by the store's buyer.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw two Oxxford Crest suits at Filene's Basement the other day.  One was a one-button, peak-lapeled suit in a navy shadow stripe, the other was a two-button, peak-lapeled navy suit with beaded white and red pinstripes and a ticket pocket.  Both were fully lined and quite showy.  It was almost as if Oxxford decided to design a suit as far away from the Manhattan II model as possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads