• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford Clothes info thread

corpseposeur

Reaction score
I've been seeking tailoring that's made in the US that's on a similar level to many of high-end bespoke tailors. Oxxford is a brand that's lauded a lot but there seems to be very little by way of information for the uninitiated.

The website is disappointing. I am planning a trip to Manhattan to visit the Oxxford store here but I was hoping many of the stylish denizens of StyFo could give me some information before I do.

The little I know of the company is that they are fully handmade and have soft construction. I understand that they've historically they've been associated with fuller cuts and older gentlemen, but have been updating their styles.

Where do they source their fabrics? What are some of their cuts? What's the process? Is it worth the price compared to some of the visiting British tailors that also work with a soft construction style?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Where do they source their fabrics? What are some of their cuts? What's the process? Is it worth the price compared to some of the visiting British tailors that also work with a soft construction style?"

You are comparing bespoke to RTW even though Oxxford has the reputation of having
as much handwork as bespoke.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
That doesn't really answer my question. I would like to learn more about the company and what they offer and what others have experienced with Oxxford compared to other tailored items they may have.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That doesn't really answer my question. I would like to learn more about the company and what they offer and what others have experienced with Oxxford compared to other tailored items they may have.

I do remember they had a boutique in Manhattan though I’m not sure it’s still there.

Paul Stuart uses Oxxford for their custom made suits. I’m not sure if Paul Stuart does bespoke anymore however.

The fabric selection from Paul Stuart used for their Oxxford made garments is from Holland & Sherry.

sorry I don’t have more details. I’ve been out of the tailored clothing game for a few years.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been seeking tailoring that's made in the US that's on a similar level to many of high-end bespoke tailors. Oxxford is a brand that's lauded a lot but there seems to be very little by way of information for the uninitiated.

The website is disappointing. I am planning a trip to Manhattan to visit the Oxxford store here but I was hoping many of the stylish denizens of StyFo could give me some information before I do.

The little I know of the company is that they are fully handmade and have soft construction. I understand that they've historically they've been associated with fuller cuts and older gentlemen, but have been updating their styles.

Where do they source their fabrics? What are some of their cuts? What's the process? Is it worth the price compared to some of the visiting British tailors that also work with a soft construction style?

Check out their website. Actually has some interesting details there.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, love this suit:

1642778625129.png

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recall when I looked at one of their retailers a while back they either mainly or exclusively use Holland and Sherry after the company that bought Oxxford bought Holland and Sherry.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of links that go into detail on Oxxford below:

-A covid era description of Oxxford by one of their salespeople. A little hyperbolic, but not inaccurate to my knowledge. The interviewer, B. Roetzel, is one of the most prolific Continental writers on menswear:

https://feineherr.de/en/oxxford-clothes-interview-with-ben-mayer/

-A detailed breakdown of Oxxford construction by a tailor:

https://robertjeffery.us/tuttofattoamano/a-look-under-the-hood-oxxford-clothes/

My takeout:

-Those who have either owned or examined Oxxford construction and quality in detail consistently describe it as top quality, sometimes in awestruck terms.

-I own three Oxxford SC in brown flannel, blue fresco, and grey worsted. I find them very comfortable and extremely durable. My three coats average 20 years old. I am sure that at least one of them will outlast me.

Historically, their styles have been conservative. I find that makes them very wearable over many years, in a Permanent Style kind of way. I work in behavioral health in California, not the most conservative sector or location. I feel quite comfortable wearing Oxxford SC in a lot of public meeting contexts.

Someone described their archetypal client as a Chicago CEO that was into clothes. They are famous for the amount of handwork in their clothing, particularly in the lapels. It shows, providing the best lapel roll of any garment I have owned.

They are expensive, but they are often available on eBay both used and new w/o tags. Used jackets represent a stunning value, IMO. They offer an opportunity to try out the brand for circa, or under, $100.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
A couple of links that go into detail on Oxxford below:

-A covid era description of Oxxford by one of their salespeople. A little hyperbolic, but not inaccurate to my knowledge. The interviewer, B. Roetzel, is one of the most prolific Continental writers on menswear:

https://feineherr.de/en/oxxford-clothes-interview-with-ben-mayer/

-A detailed breakdown of Oxxford construction by a tailor:

https://robertjeffery.us/tuttofattoamano/a-look-under-the-hood-oxxford-clothes/

My takeout:

-Those who have either owned or examined Oxxford construction and quality in detail consistently describe it as top quality, sometimes in awestruck terms.

-I own three Oxxford SC in brown flannel, blue fresco, and grey worsted. I find them very comfortable and extremely durable. My three coats average 20 years old. I am sure that at least one of them will outlast me.

Historically, their styles have been conservative. I find that makes them very wearable over many years, in a Permanent Style kind of way. I work in behavioral health in California, not the most conservative sector or location. I feel quite comfortable wearing Oxxford SC in a lot of public meeting contexts.

Someone described their archetypal client as a Chicago CEO that was into clothes. They are famous for the amount of handwork in their clothing, particularly in the lapels. It shows, providing the best lapel roll of any garment I have owned.

They are expensive, but they are often available on eBay both used and new w/o tags. Used jackets represent a stunning value, IMO. They offer an opportunity to try out the brand for circa, or under, $100.

Thank you. This is very helpful insight. I'll do as you suggest and try to find a second hand jacket on eBay to familiarize myself further.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do need to offer better pictures on their website,

Maybe I’m used to the semi-theatrical esthetic of RLPL, but Oxxford’s styling pics don’t seem to represent, or align with, its storied reputation.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
I received a second hand tweed Oxxford jacket from eBay today. It's the Renaissance style which I think is a bit more updated. Just based on measurements alone, their traditional jacket styles would have been unflattering for me. For whatever reason their shoulders tend to be too wide for my chest, and the jackets are often very long. This isn't typical as I often fit pretty well in Brooks Brothers or J. Press RTW.

It feels like a very nice soft tailored jacket kind of similar to the British drape style examples I've tried. It has some shaping at the waist, but probably less so that some of the jackets from the A&S style. The tailoring quality is very good as it's very apparent that there's a lot of handwork that's gone into the jackets.

I still haven't been able to visit the NYC location but I'll take a look soon. I think their traditional style suiting are not my thing, but I would be interested in a more refined style. They have a photo of Cary Grant wearing an excellent suit, but that's not what I typically have seen from this company.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads