1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Oxxford clothes discussion

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Sep 13, 2003.

1. sjimison

sjimison Member

say i wanted to purchase a two button charcoal suit from oxxford. what ballpark would i be looking at? 2k? 3k?

2. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Others who are more informed than I can give you a more exact answer.  But...the custom made Oxxford three piece double breasted suit  with "all the bells and whistles"--working sleeve buttons, ticket pocket, watch pocket etc--cost 3K +.  An off the rack single breasted Oxxford must cost less--upper 2K I would reckon.  Also, the choice of fabric will drive the price up or down.  Hope this helps.

3. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

It also depends on where you buy. An Oxxford from Neiman's or Wilkes Bashford is going to cost substantially more than it will at some other places. Carrol & Co. in Beverly Hills is a good example - their Oxxfords are pretty reasonable. It's a really great store too.

4. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

I've seen Oxxford's at Filene's Basement on a pretty regular basis (the nice Filene's on Connecticut Ave. in Washington, D.C.). I think they are up to $899, but they have the occasional sales event which may knock up to 30% off of this price. Generally, it appears that the suits might be from cancelled Neiman-Marcus and SFA orders. Obviously, Filene's is hit or miss, and you're not going to be able to order a suit in your preferred fabric and cut, but if you're nearby a Filene's you might at least check it out. Also, the Oxxford's do make it to the Off Fifth locations at a pretty good price, and they often hang around and get marked down; I don't think most Off Fifth customers are looking to spend the money that Oxxford's cost, even marked down to say $700.

5. sjimison

sjimison Member

shoefan- thanks for that info. im in richmond and regualarly go up to dc... i'll have to check out filene's. any chance you know what metro exit? Wouldn't that be great? Carrying back a garment bag with a 3k suit on public transportation. Beats the hell out of driving though.

6. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

The Filene's is on Connecticut Avenue at approximately L Street NW. There are several metro stops nearby; the closest is Farragut North (Red Line), which has an exit on Connecticut Ave about 1 or 2 blocks south of the store; Farragut West (Orange and Blue Lines) is a little further away, say 3 or 4 blocks, but an easy walk. For geographic orientation, the store is about 1/2 way between the White House and Dupont Circle. There is also a Filene's at the Mazza Gallerie on the Red Line up near Bethesda as well as one somewhere near 14th St. NW in downtown DC, but they both have much less nice stuff than the CT Ave store. Before heading up, I would definitely call the store and ask what they have in stock in your size; you might also want to get on their mailing lists for special discount offers. (I've gotten Oxxford suits for as less than $400 there on various promotions.)

If you do drive up, stop at the OFF Fifth at Potomac Mills and see what they have (drive around the perimeter and park outside the OFF Fifth store -- I wouldn't bother with any of the other stores at that mall).

7. masterfred

masterfred Well-Known Member

Hi all. I came by this site through Askyandyaboutclothes, and of course found a lot of the same folks. Oxxford suits are very well made indeed, but I agree with others that their styling often leaves much to be desired. I've often seen buttons on their suits that contrast with the fabric instead of blending in (black buttons on a grey suit, etc.), and their buttonholes, even if they are hand-sewn, often look ragged. Minor quibbles, I know, but if you're paying for excellence......

Hopefully, Jack Simpson will bring them around (and they've already improved over what styling they used to offer). Sometimes his need for patterns and contrasting colors can be a bit over-the-top, but I tend to like his styling. I noticed a couple of other posters had seen his work at recent trunk shows and approved.........

8. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Those of you who, like myself, are interested in buying an Oxxford Clothes suit may look into one of the finer mens stores that offer a card-account. I stopped into my local clothing store, M.S. McClellan, and talked with the manager about my desire to acquire more Oxxford in my wardrobe, but the price is a little daunting. He offered to put me on a 12 month, no interest account in order to do so. I've been considering a suit or possibly two sportcoats; I don't even really need to go custom (or even made to measure); I'm happy with just ordering my size in a cloth I like.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have seen the Oxxford sack suits at Off Fifth. They were priced at $899.

From what I had seen the quality was very high but the style was quite lacking.

10. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

Was in there on Friday.  Saw maybe a dozen Oxxford pieces but, sadly, none to fit me.

11. FCS

FCS Senior member

Just digging up some old postings from this forum. Clarinetplayer, or anyone else who know the info, did this $3k+ price apply to MTM or bespoke suit?

12. clarinetplayer

The Oxxford I have ordered is bespoke. If you are considering such a purchase, know that it takes a good two months plus for the suit to be made.

13. FCS

FCS Senior member

It's for a bespoke 3-piece suit? That's not too bad, considering it's from Oxxford. That said, there's no way I could have it at this stage of my career. Just out of curiosity. Can I ask what fabric was the suit made of? And do you happen to know how much an equivalent MTM suit would cost?

14. clarinetplayer

I believe the fabric is a wool cashmere 130s.  (It has been months since I made the order.)  I don't know what an equivalent MTM would cost.  I can't afford this suit, either.  I gave up the vacation trip to the Rose Bowl (assuming that is where Michigan is playing) for the suit.  This will be a suit that I expect to wear until my last days on earth.

15. FCS

FCS Senior member

For that price I'd expect the suit to have the divine power to raise the deads back to life. Just wondering, did you make this suit in Chicago? If not, how did you do the fittings, etc?

16. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

I believe that Oxxford true custom is only available through Louis Boston(Bespoke-Est 2000) and maybe through the Oxxford Store in NYC, or if you're George W. Bush.  Do any of you know if the Oxxford Store offers true custom or if it's MTM?  I know that extra fittings are available through Oxxford's MTM program, but that they add to the cost.  In that regard Oxxford's MTM could be almost equivalent to custom. I contacted the Oxxford Store and asked that since I live very very close to Chicago if I could be measured at their factory and buy the suit through the Oxxford Store or through another Oxxford retailer, but they said no, they do not take measurements at the factory.

17. clarinetplayer

This will be a suit that I expect to wear until my last days on earth.
    For that price I'd expect the suit to have the divine power to raise the deads back to life. Just wondering, did you make this suit in Chicago? If not, how did you do the fittings, etc?
    Trust me, I am making many sacrifices in other areas to afford this suit--my Honda is going to last another 100,000, going to the library more often than to Border's Bookstore, and other measures. My closet only has a few of everything, but not overmuch of anything. I'd rather have fewer items of good quality clothing--which will last a long while--than a closet full of clothes that I do not wear. I tend to keep clothes a long time. I have a duffle coat that I've worn for nearly 20 years--it will outlast me. (Gloverall). I have four sweaters which I've had for years and they just go and on. I am frugal with shoes. I have four pairs of Allen Edmonds of which I take very good care. (And soon, a pair of A. Harris's Vass shoes.) So, yes, the Oxxford is an extravagence, but one for which I've made allowances. (And it might just bring the dead to life.) The Oxxford will bring my suit total to four. As for the measuring, the tailor made about a gazillion measurements, drawings, etc... There will be quite a few fittings and a shipping back to the factory for final touches.

18. FCS

FCS Senior member

Clarinetplayer, if you are outside Chicago, do they to ship the suit back and forth between the factory and the store for fitting purpose? And mind if I ask which store you ordered the suit from?

Please let us know about the suit when you receive it. I hope it would be a true masterpiece in your wardrobe.

19. clarinetplayer

Yes, back and forth.

The Claymore Shop in Birmingham, Michigan. A suburb, north of Detroit.

The suit is supposed to be sent next week. But, it will be sent back to have the working button holes in the sleeves cut and have other small things done. (Patience is a virtue.)

I might add, that I've gone this route because for many years I worn mostly Brooks Brothers suits--suits that are OK, but after a while, they show their age. You get what you pay for.

20. masterfred

masterfred Well-Known Member

clarinetplayer, what style trouser did you choose for the suit? I'm not generally crazy about Oxxford's styling, but I really like their high-waisted trousers with the high curved notched back for wearing braces (and another detail I like is that they'll often place the front brace buttons inside the waistband, while the rear ones will be on the outside - no buttons pressing into your back when you sit down.) I saw a ready-made Oxxford tailcoat ensemble with the trousers cut just this way.

Or then again, maybe you're not a braces kind of guy..........