• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford 1220 "Made to Measure" The story begins

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

AncientSoul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chi-square

5. Italian suits are stamped 1990's... "American" suits with a single vent or "English" suits with double vents are a lot more classy. Unless you eat cannolis buy American or English suits!

I enjoy a good cannoli and still prefer the English style suit over Italian. I must be doing something wrong.
confused.gif

Sazerac

Reaction score
I enjoy a good Zegna and still prefer fish & chips.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, this should be an interesting quest. I admire your approach. Speak in blanket terms, which are assured to rev up the SF illuminati, and make sure to draw random and offensive conclusions along the way.

What do you like to eat? I want to make sure I don't feed you.

Mike

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
sorry OP, that's a terrible troll effort.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in insurance as well. Please let me know the name of your employer because nobody at my office (not even the CEO) spends nearly that amount of money on clothes.

pdxpm

Reaction score
Isn't $2,500 a bit steep for MTM? I would think you could almost go bespoke for that price (Maybe I'm way off). Anyways, I know a couple of actuaries and I don't think they have any need for that level of a suit. Seems like you could do a better job of spending your money and get a larger selection of quality clothing. Are you planning to wear only the one pair of shoes? I guess you can start a new OneShoe thread...

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
I work in insurance as well. Please let me know the name of your employer because nobody at my office (not even the CEO) spends nearly that amount of money on clothes.

I sell a few Insurance CEOs and Agents Oxxford HQ

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdxpm
Isn't $2,500 a bit steep for MTM? I would think you could almost go bespoke for that price (Maybe I'm way off). Anyways, I know a couple of actuaries and I don't think they have any need for that level of a suit. Seems like you could do a better job of spending your money and get a larger selection of quality clothing. Are you planning to wear only the one pair of shoes? I guess you can start a new OneShoe thread...

It's not steep for Oxxford. I don't want to pick on pdxpm, but I feel a little bit bad for OP. Typically, first-time posters get crushed for buying $200 suits from Macy's, JAB, or some ill-fitting MTM from Indochino, but here we finally have a noob who is willing to skip the Macy's-JAB-MW starter suits (I wish I had) and go straight to top-shelf stuff, seemingly taking the advice dispensed by many on SF to spend more money and get a quality suit he'll be happy with...and he's getting criticism too? I get that some people are undoubtedly turned off by some of the extra commentary in his first post, but I, for one, am interested in reading a young-ish guy's impressions of the MTM experience with a renowned suitmaker like Oxxford.

OP, I'd be interested in hearing a little more about your background with clothing to give your impressions some additional context. Is this your first foray into tailored clothing? Or have you previously experimented with suits from lower-tier makers?

shasta

Reaction score
typical actuary - overly analyzing a simple issue

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are onto something, chi-square.

At my last visit to my bespoke maker, he told me he sat in on an "industry meeting," and the result portends that in the near future all RTW will be MTM.

Good luck!

- M

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads