oxfords hurt like crap! what do I do??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Pal_Brand, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Pal_Brand

Pal_Brand Member

So, you know how we learn the hard way, those where the most expensive I've managed to buy yet, I think they're calf skin and exactly like those:

[​IMG]

They're branded "Tonis" (Portuguese maker) if anybody has heard about it... no padding inside, and walking in them is like having broken glass wrapped around my ankles, have I bought the wrong size? I usually wear EUR42, tried 41 and thought they were tight so I chose those, what does this thing need to become more comfortable around the ankles? how do I alternate them? or the brand is just bad?

2. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

Where did you buy them? What's their return policy? This is why I buy shoes from brick-and-mortar stores. Must try on before buying.

Twotone

3. ohm

ohm Senior member

So, you know how we learn the hard way, those where the most expensive I've managed to buy yet, I think they're calf skin and exactly like those:

[​IMG]

They're branded "Tonis" (Portuguese maker) if anybody has heard about it... no padding inside, and walking in them is like having broken glass wrapped around my ankles, have I bought the wrong size? I usually wear EUR42, tried 41 and thought they were tight so I chose those, what does this thing need to become more comfortable around the ankles? how do I alternate them? or the brand is just bad?

It sounds like they don't fit. Generally shoes should not feel like broken glass wrapped around your ankles.

4. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

[​IMG]

Bring them to a shoe repair store and ask them if they can stretch it for you.

5. asdf

asdf Senior member

I think the previous replies (other than maybe twotone) are missing the point.

the way i read it, the shoes are bothering you at in a very specific area. i think what you mean is that the edge of the shoe is digging into the bottom of your ankle bones/achilles. this would not indicate that the shoes are too small but rather that the throat is too high.

if this is indeed the case, you can tough it out, let the edge break in a bit, and grow a callus, or you can buy new shoes. I do not believe it can be fixed, nor does it necessarily have anything to do with size...just design.

i have a few pairs that dug into my ankles when new, now they don't bother me. YMMV.

6. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

I have these wonderful temperpedic inserts, like the mattress but the are much smaller and fit into my shoes. It is litteraly like walking on air by the end of the day no pain.

7. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

I think the previous replies (other than maybe twotone) are missing the point.

the way i read it, the shoes are bothering you at in a very specific area. i think what you mean is that the edge of the shoe is digging into the bottom of your ankle bones/achilles. this would not indicate that the shoes are too small but rather that the throat is too high.

if this is indeed the case, you can tough it out, let the edge break in a bit, and grow a callus, or you can buy new shoes. I do not believe it can be fixed, nor does it necessarily have anything to do with size...just design.

i have a few pairs that dug into my ankles when new, now they don't bother me. YMMV.

You probably have a low volume foot ie; low arch. The depth of the heel space in the shoe is too great, the edges of the shoe are digging into your ankle bone. If you stick with these shoes, you could try a shoe insert to raise your heel or your arch.

These shoes are probably built on a last appropriate for a high-arch foot. In the future, consider a last that fits low volume feet. The Allen Edmond 5 last is a good example.

8. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I think ASDF is correct. Even with the weird angle of the photo the heel and top lines look a little high relative to the rest of the shoe.

And, distasteful and unforeseen as it might be, I believe that breaking them in will alleviate the problem.

Just my 2¢...

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

All clothing should be painful.

If not to yourself, to others.

- B

10. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

^ that's true...for instance, if your "small clothes" aren't tight, you'll need a potato when you go tot he beach...just make sure you put it in front.

11. Lendial

Lendial Well-Known Member

it takes several wears to break mine in, and though i wouldnt describe the sensation as walking on broken glass, its damn near close to it.

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Padded sticking plaster on your heels before each wear, and hopefully you'll break them in a bit.

13. Pal_Brand

Pal_Brand Member

Now this makes me feel like I'm not the only victim of the classy nice looking shoes here... I guess I'll need to break them in a bit, and throw in a comfortable sole to raise my feet up half an inch like Coburn and asdf said.

nice quote, cause I tend to make people rethink their whole appearance, you really can't tell someone their taste is crappy if they believe it's cool, but make them see how brilliant your style is and then they'll feel the pain!

14. GBR

GBR Senior member

They probably don't fit so I assume you trued to buy on line to save a few pennies. Error - next time buy in shop and try on.

Can a cobbler stretch them - if not give them to a second hand store/sell on eBay and don't cut corners next time.

15. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

As others have mentioned, it is likely because the shoe is too small for you.

The other possibility is that I've noticed some shoe makers don't pad the heel area at all. That might be why it's causing you all sorts of problems. Before I started reading these boards I bought some Christian Lacroix shoes (I hope I don't scare anyone) and had the same problem b/c the heel area had absolutely no padding and was basically raw leather rubbing against the achilles.