• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxfords and jeans

tightandbright

Reaction score
I want to wear oxfords with jeans, but I don't want to look like my gramps. I always see those hipster kids with semi dressy looking shoes (the non shiny ones), I want a pair of those to wear with my jeans. I live in Canada BC, where would I start looking? Price range $150- (I don't need good shoes, I just want to wear oxfords for fashion. Screw comfort/durability).

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get yerself some shell cordovan gunboats. Used ones can be had for cheap and they are awesome.

2010-10-30c.jpg

These are Florsheim Royal Imperials. I got mine used for way under $100. You can also buy them new, but I don't think they make them in shell any more.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tightandbright
I want to wear oxfords with jeans, but I don't want to look like my gramps. I always see those hipster kids with semi dressy looking shoes (the non shiny ones), I want a pair of those to wear with my jeans.

I can't recommend a specific shoe for you (although I will say a brogue of some kind is a good idea), but the key to not looking like gramps is going to be the fit and style of the jeans, and anything else you are wearing, not just the shoes.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tightandbright
I want to wear oxfords with jeans, but I don't want to look like my gramps. I always see those hipster kids with semi dressy looking shoes (the non shiny ones), I want a pair of those to wear with my jeans. I live in Canada BC, where would I start looking? Price range $150- (I don't need good shoes, I just want to wear oxfords for fashion. Screw comfort/durability).

Get yourself a pair of this Aldo.

http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/men/shoe...-bashinelli/22

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Get yerself some shell cordovan gunboats. Used ones can be had for cheap and they are awesome.

2010-10-30c.jpg

These are Florsheim Royal Imperials. I got mine used for way under $100. You can also buy them new, but I don't think they make them in shell any more.

Those are not Oxfords
fight[1].gif

Brogues are definitely a good idea, because these are inherently more casual. Derbys also work very well. Whatever you do don't combine black with blue jeans.

As for the grandpa-look: you can indeed avoid that by the style of trousers and shape of the shoes. A model with a sleeker last will look younger than one with a very round and bulky last.

You could have a look round online and post pictures that you think you'd like and would work...

poissa

Reaction score
please never get Aldo's. They are similar in quality, construction and price to Kenneth Cole.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get these and call it a day: http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product...tId=prod210339

My brother has them and likes them. They don't start out looking aged like they do on the website - I believe the photo model has been scuffed to look like that. I have no idea what the long-term durablity is, but they seem to be holding up decently so far from what I've seen and appear to be exactly what you're looking for. For the pedants here, yes, I realize these are derbys and not oxfords, but I don't think he means to make that distinction.

Also, 99% sure the sole isn't made out of wood, no idea how the copy editor made that mistake.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Nah, they're pretty snub nosed. I don't know own them personally, but they seemed to be better than the Cole Haans and the Aldos on this thread.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks...

The OP said 'screw comfort and durability', plus he does not want to spend more than $150.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads