• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxford Shoes for High Instep

Salanizi

Reaction score
Hello

I need advice finding proper fitting shoes online,

I have high instep size 9US (8UK) feet, and I have wasted alot of money on mid priced and cheaper shoes trying to find one that fits well to no avail.

I hate the looks of derbys, and I grew bored of double monks. I have been fitted at the Loakw UK shop and the shoe that fit me well is the Archway just because it is a wide G fitting. However that shoe is from the entry level shoemakers range...i want something that is of a higher grade.

I am looking for wide fitting shoe (to compensate for the high instep i got) with a rubber sole.

Cheers

Sfroide3

Reaction score
You want to compensate high instep with wide size ?

Just buy shoes with higher instep ...

Look at Fitzpatrick. All their model besides one are high instep.

Salanizi

Reaction score
You want to compensate high instep with wide size ?

Just buy shoes with higher instep ...

Look at Fitzpatrick. All their model besides one are high instep.

Indeed I do acknowledge your point, and this is exactly why i posted this thread. I would rather buy proper width shoes that accomodate a high instep rather than buy wide fitting shoes.

Do you know of any English made models in particular?

Thanks

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello

I need advice finding proper fitting shoes online,

I have high instep size 9US (8UK) feet, and I have wasted alot of money on mid priced and cheaper shoes trying to find one that fits well to no avail.

I hate the looks of derbys, and I grew bored of double monks. I have been fitted at the Loakw UK shop and the shoe that fit me well is the Archway just because it is a wide G fitting. However that shoe is from the entry level shoemakers range...i want something that is of a higher grade.

I am looking for wide fitting shoe (to compensate for the high instep i got) with a rubber sole.

Cheers

Well the easiest shoe to fit a higher instep (I have a high instep as well) would have been the derby. However, you did say you hate that style.

I do not know many mid-priced English makers that have an intrinsically higher instep. On the slightly higher priced shoes the Barker Black has more volume in that area. Lobb in both the 8000 and 7000 lasts. EG in the 202 last. The Alfred Sargent 724 last is forgiving, but less than the other manufacturers I mentioned.

The Sons of Henrey (that are made in Spain) do have medium to high insteps. They are also priced lower than these other makers.

Enzo Bonafe & Antonio Meccariello (Italian) shoes definitely have higher insteps as I own those and can vouch for their volume across the lacings.

ak356

Reaction score
I'm in exactly the same boat with high instep. Unfortunately this means you can't wear certain styles - loafers, chelsea, zip boots. I place an MTO with Enzo Bonafe for zip boot, who is already known for high instep and they had to modify the last to increase the instep volume. I'm able to fit into the boot, with difficulty, but due to modification there's an indentation when wearing boots, so even through I got it done it's still wasn't the look I wanted.

You can pick wide width or go up a size, and if that doesn't bother you then that could be your answer.

Of course the best solution would be to wear derby. Lucky for me I love the look of them. Look at the Corthay Arca derby. A lot of people consider it the most elegant derby.

I also would recommend John Lobb shoes as I had a lot of success with them. Vass and Enzo Bonafe are the other brands I would recommend.

I would avoid George Cleverley and Edward Green (even 202 last).

Obviously my experience is very limited.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People with a high instep will typically have a narrower foot. A wider shoe is more appropriate for someone who is a pronator.

if you truly have a cavus foot, and not just self diagnosing yourself, then you should get properly fitted. An orthotic would also help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads