1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

oxford shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregory, Oct 29, 2004.

1. gregory

gregory Senior Member

I'm interested to hear what all our distinguished forum members have to say about oxford button-down shirts from various purveyors, including but not limited to:

Brooks Brothers
    Lands' End
    L.L.Bean
    Polo Ralph Lauren

Good weekend, everyone.
    (According to Paul Fussell, one should then respond: "Thanks, but I have other plans".)

2. 9_Ball_Slim

9_Ball_Slim Active Member

I really like the Brooks Bros. oxford button down shirts. I have one in French Blue that I think I've owned for over 12 years.

3. anorak

anorak Active Member

Just about all of mine are ralph lauren yarmouth oxfords. I think that is what they are called. They aren't anything special, i like the way they feel. I've been wearing them forever it seems.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I have had one Yarmouth from RL that I returned soon after buying. It was my size collar and sleeves, but the body was absolutely enormous. My only other oxford cloth shirt was from RLPL, and it was a pinpoint oxford dress shirt, not really the Trad buttondown you're talking about.

5. gregory

gregory Senior Member

Does anyone know what's the difference between the Oxford Yarmouth (sized in precise neck/sleeve lenghts) and the Oxford Blake (sized in SMLXL) button-down oxford shirts?

Also, how much trimmer is the custom cut from Ralph Lauren?

I checked with Lands' End and I was surprised to find out that their trim cut was merely 0.5 inches trimmer at the chest and 3 inches trimmer at the waist.

6. mrgoblueguy

mrgoblueguy Senior Member

I can only speak about the Ralph Lauren Oxford, where Polo seems to get a bad reputation on here. I own several in many different colors and think they are great. They seem to fit and have help up great after tons of washes. I have tried the custom fit and regular fit and love both. I wear them with jeans, khakis, and even blzers and sportcoats. They always seem to fit well and I whink would be worth giving a try.

7. anorak

anorak Active Member

I have some blake shirts as well. The material is smoother, not like the material on a standard oxford. I can't think of a way to describe it right now. On a traditional oxford the material has more texture; tha blake shirts do not have much texture.

8. joseanes

joseanes Senior Member

Regarding RL shirts: The Blake shirt is extremely oversized. I accidentally bought a blake SMALL shirt, and it felt like a large. I think Polo uses "names" instead of sizes, hehe....

I love the BB oxford shirts. I just wished they did more in the slim fit version.

9. ROT

ROT Senior Member

I tried to find a pink pinpoint oxford at the local BB and was told that I had no idea what I was talking about (this by an assistant manager type...) So long. I'll wear out the ones I bought in the late 80s.

I have a friend who swears by the Land's End Hyde Park. And he is always nattily attired in heans or flannels.

10. ROT

ROT Senior Member

errr. . "jeans"