• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxford Shirts

ferrari360

Reaction score
Guys,

I just wanted to get some advice on Oxford shirts. I have read a lot about the fabric, but almost everything I have read is contradictory.

Why would anyone buy a dress shirt with oxford fabric? Is it thicker/thinner than other fabrics? Is Oxford fabrics used for a specific event. (Is it for formal occasions, etc.?)

I have read its good for cold and hot climates; I am not sure which one is right?

Why is it better than the other kinds of fabrics?

Is it known for being more durable? Does it hold its form in washes?

Sorry for the crappy questions, I just want to know what the difference is.

Thanks

GucciKid

Reaction score
Oxford cloth is thicker than most fabrics. This also makes it warmer, and thus suitable for colder climates. I would not recommend wearing Oxford cloth in the summer in warmer climates. It is typically a fall and winter fabric.

Because of its somewhat stubbly appearance, it is noted as being one of the more informal types of cloth, and goes well with button-down collars, tweed, and sport jackets.

It may be more durable than other cloths, but that really depends on the quality of the cloth.

It is not any better or worse than any other fabric, it is warmer and more informal than most shirting fabrics and thus has different uses than say a broadcloth.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Q- Why would anyone buy a dress shirt with oxford fabric? Is it thicker/thinner than other fabrics?
A- Thicker and coarser than poplin or broadcloth. Perfect for cooler or cold weather.

Q- Are Oxford fabrics used for a specific event. (Is it for formal occasions, etc.?)
A- Casual dress. Not intended for formal use.

Q- I have read its good for cold and hot climates; I am not sure which one is right?
A- Better suited for colder weather.

Q- Why is it better than the other kinds of fabrics?
A- Oxford is certainly more durable than thinner counterparts but each has an intended use.

Q- Is it known for being more durable? Does it hold its form in washes?
A- Oxford is far more durable than poplin or broadcloth, but not more durable than hemp.
Hemp is 160 times stronger than cotton. Oxford is incredibly wash-durable. Years & years of use.

juniper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint

A- Oxford is far more durable than poplin or broadcloth, but not more durable than hemp.
Hemp is 160 times stronger than cotton. Oxford is incredibly wash-durable. Years & years of use.

I got about 25 wearings from a J Press light blue OCBD until the cuffs started to fray showing the white threads as the blue broke. Perhaps I'm just hard on them. So, I only buy the plain white now, where the same damage can't be seen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads