1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Oxford shirts. RL custom fit specifically.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cmrocks, Jun 4, 2006.

1. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

How do Ralph Lauren custom fit oxford shirts actually fit. On the website they look like they fit fairly well. I'm looking for some light weight, casual shirts and these seem like close to what I'm looking for. Is the quality fairly good?

Also, is it acceptable to wear an oxford untucked? I have some drawstring linen pants that I would want to wear it with untucked. It would depend on the lenght of the shirt I guess.

2. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Fit is relative; you provide no point of comparison.

3. metaphysician

metaphysician Senior member

In an effort to be helpful:

RL Custom Fit is slimmer than their classic fits and the custom fit shirts don't have the tent-like quality of the classic shirts. The custom fit oxfords also have a shorter hem on the shirt's tail; if you wanted to wear one untucked with linen pants (especially during the summer), I say go for it, as it won't look nearly as bad as wearing one of Polo's classic fit shirts untucked. RL also offers slimmer fitting shirts that aren't oxfords that you may want to take a look at.

4. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Not to hijack the thread but... what exactly classifies an "oxford" shirt anyhow? Button down collar? Royal Oxford fabric? I've seen quite a number of "oxford shirts" and am beginning to wonder if it's become like the "oxford shoe" phenomenon where everybody just calls it oxford because it buttons in the front.

5. metaphysician

metaphysician Senior member

Not to hijack the thread but... what exactly classifies an "oxford" shirt anyhow? Button down collar? Royal Oxford fabric? I've seen quite a number of "oxford shirts" and am beginning to wonder if it's become like the "oxford shoe" phenomenon where everybody just calls it oxford because it buttons in the front.

Generally, an oxford needs to have a button-down collar and be made of an oxford cloth. Hence why the Trads use the acronym OCBD: oxford-cloth button down.