• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxford decision - GC at Macy's

Stuntmonkee

Reaction score
I was given a $150 gift cert to Macy's and wanted to spend it on a new pair of oxfords. Not finding a great amount of options and most of the shoes they offer are brands that SF tends to knock down.

Anyhow, I currently have a couple pair of Cole Haans and I'm pretty happy with those. I had a cheap pair of Johnston Murphs. . . .wasn't a fan, but I'm looking at their plain toe.

I think my problem is that I'm a wedding photographer and want a shoe that I can work in, but I want to avoid another the issue that I had with the JM's when the sole separated from the toe. My Eccos and CH's have never done that.

So I would like to find a decent leather rubber sole blend. I like the detailing of the sole edge not looking just plain and black.

That's why I considered this shoe - http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...swatchColor=Black#fn=COLOR=Black&sp=2&spc=752

I'm also a big wing tip fan, but didnt like the side sole of this one - http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...D=55822&LinkType=#fn=COLOR=Black&sp=2&spc=752 - felt a bit too formal.

I'm seeing Sebago wingtips on there, and don't mind the styling but I just haven't been able to get much information on them.

With all of that said, I'm starting to think about just holding on to the card looking into the DJ Pliners brand. I just haven't researched them either.

So yeah, first post, but I have been lurking for a while. If they offered AE or something similar I would do that, but they don't. So don't kick me in the bum with your pointy shoes.

figured if I caught someone at a bored moment they might want to influence my decision on what shoes I'm going to get.

On a side note, the more I research, the more bummed I get hearing about these iconic shoe companies that have sold out. Like Florsheim. Reading these stories makes me sad. Oh well. CH is back on it's own and out of bed with Nike. . . .so maybe thats a step in the right direction? I'm sure someone knows the back story better than I do.

Thanks
J

Last edited:

Subutai

Reaction score
You've chosen a blucher and balmoral so I'm not sure if you are looking for formal shoes or not.

It sounds as though you are open. Given you are trying to use your GC at Macy's, I would strongly recommend you go with the Florsheim Kenmoor Imperials. Yes, they are not the same Florsheims as in decades past, but these are still very good shoes, especially for the price:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...AND=Florsheim&sp=1&spc=30&ruleId=66&slotId=12

Plus, they are wingtip of which you mentioned you are big fan, and one of the most classic longwings at that. I find Florsheim to be much better quality than J&M and Cole Haan. They're also goodyear welted which means they'll last years and years if you take care of them.

Stuntmonkee

Reaction score
I looked at those. My biggest concern was how they would feel after photographing a wedding AND in the moments that I'm working a ceremony at a church with hard floors. . . .they might be a bit disruptive.

And yes, I'm pretty open to style. I prefer to avoid a high polish. But that's about it.

I do dig that shoe though.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the better Macy's stores stock A-Es if you're willing to spend a good deal more than the face value of your gift card. (At least they used to stock A-Es a few years ago, not sure they still don't. I rarely go into a Macy's anymore.)

Last edited:

Stuntmonkee

Reaction score
I don't think they do any longer.. . .unless some stores stock different products than they do online.

Subutai

Reaction score
Some Macy's do carry AE's, but always at full price, so about $200 above your gift card. You can buy AE seconds for $200 and still put your gift card to use.

If you're worried about the leather sole on hardwood, you could always put a toppy (sole guard) on them for about $30. It's a thin (thickness of a penny) rubber guard any cobbler can put on your sole to protect the leather from the elements. It would, of course, solve your sound concern as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads