• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxford Cloth Pajamas

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was planning to purchase a pair of Brooks Brothers oxford pajamas. I tried on a Small. But it was huge. Like wearing a tent....

Perhaps that is ideal for sleeping. But I want them for lounging and walking around my apartment, sipping my coffee, wondering what happened to my life.

Any suggestions? Anyone make a "slim" oxford cloth pajama?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting! I didn't know BB made oxford cloth pajamas. My entire bed is solid pink and pink candy stripe oxford cloth, I should get some camo pajamas.
wink.gif

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgoldstein
Sheets?! Wheretokop?
I got mine at Macy's -- Ralph Lauren: Link The pictures are a little misleading. The closeup of a stack of sheets is accurate. This is real OC, the stripe is a bona fide candy stripe. My comforter is solid pink on one side, pink candy stripe on the other. They're on sale now, too!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AHS
I was planning to purchase a pair of Brooks Brothers oxford pajamas. I tried on a Small. But it was huge. Like wearing a tent....

Perhaps that is ideal for sleeping. But I want them for lounging and walking around my apartment, sipping my coffee, wondering what happened to my life.

Any suggestions? Anyone make a "slim" oxford cloth pajama?

Sorry to rain on your parade. I've been wearing BB oxford cloth pajamas for the past twenty
years. What they've been selling for the past five+ year is pure junk. I have several pair
of the latest version which are disintegrating. Older pairs, which are true oxford cloth like
the shirts have held up very well. I would avoid them. O'Connells has oxford cloth pajamas
which I am considering. In general, unlike Brooks Brothers they have not gone down market
over the past decade plus.

http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/sl..._underwear.php

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it actually just like shirt oxford cloth? Because RL has some nice cloth. It's actually hard to source stuff like it. It takes, what, six yards of 45" cloth to make a queen-sized sheet? That's two shirts easy.

I'm tempted to buy a couple sets and cut them up.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
Is it actually just like shirt oxford cloth? Because RL has some nice cloth. It's actually hard to source stuff like it. It takes, what, six yards of 45" cloth to make a queen-sized sheet? That's two shirts easy.

I'm tempted to buy a couple sets and cut them up.

buying sheets for the express purpose of using them as Oxford cloth is pretty silly man. You can buy decent oxford cloth for not much.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, well, if you want to tell me where to get it I'm listening. Acorn's is nice, but it's a lighter weight and $20/yard. Philips Boyne's is heavier but it's stiff and the white just sucks. Getting ~4 shirts worth of Ralph Lauren's oxford cloth for ~$55 seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm.

Reviews of the oxford sheets complain that they're thick and wrinkly. Sounds perfect! What do I have to lose with Macy's return policy anyway? If it's not suitable for chopping up into shirts I'll just return it.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How are the sheets constructed--are they made from two pieces of cloth sewn together lengthwise down the middle? Or is it just one big piece of cloth?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually bought a set of the sheets. It's all one piece (so it's not just two pieces of 60" shirting sewn together or anything like that), but it seems like pretty nice oxford fabric to me. The weave appears identical to shirting oxfords I'm familiar with. Weight appears to be kind of mid-range for an oxford shirt, but I'm not very good at judging fabric weight before it's made up. It seems beefy enough. At any rate, it's all cotton. Holds a crease, doesn't have a "memory" of the original stitching or creases after washing. Shrinkage measured at about 7% lengthwise which is a lot for shirting, so it'll all have to be prewashed. No problem. I can't see any reason why it won't make a good shirt. Actually I think I can get four from one $50 sheet set. Not bad when Acorn costs $40 per shirt and is kind of light and wrinkly for an oxford. I like it a lot more than philips boyne's stuff too.

I'll post again after the first one is made up. I don't foresee any problem though.

Anyway if you want oxford pajamas you could just have them made. I know mytailor makes 'em, though they're not going to be cheap of course and I doubt they'll make them out of bedsheets for you.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By the way, if you decide to do this--look very carefully at the individual pieces of the sheet set. I realized that the blue yarn in the pillow cases is a paler blue than the other pieces. It's a candy stripe with a white base, so it's subtle but I can see if it I look for it. It's not a big deal (that just becomes the insides of cuffs, the underside of collar leaf, the inside piece of the yoke, etc. But it's something I'm glad I caught.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I posted a picture of the shirt in another thread. It looks and feels exactly like an oxford should. It's not as soft as Acorn's but it's more substantial, and like the polo OCBDs it could be worn washed without ironing. But no gigantic pony logo. And of course it's a bespoke pattern instead of "size M."

Here's the shirt washed, dried & folded without ironing.

sheetshirtfinished2.jpg

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same set of sheets. You made a shirt out of it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads