Owner of a new start-up or in general, would you pay $2500 to have lunch with a billionaire?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by eddievddr10, Feb 16, 2012.

1. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

i had an opportunity at a silent charity auction for $2500 to have lunch with a member of a famous new york billionaire family.
    Considering i just literally started a small start-up, did i miss an opportunity here? and if i did how would any of you savvy businessman (fran :) ) take advantage of this lunch, or if anyone has had an experience such as this please share!
    I'm starting to feel like i should've gone for it :embar:

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Not knowing who the billionaire is (make their money from a startup too?) I'm inclined to think you saved yourself some money. Since you say it's a famous billionaire family, sounds more like it was inherited. Don't know what kind of wisdom they could give you.

3. eddievddr10

loews, a member of the tisch family

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It might have been a good way to get introduced to the guy, He probably hears pitches all the time, and that would have been a waste. And these types of things are usually just an onerous obligation for the guy, but if you show yourself to be an interesting person (to him) it might have been a good way to get to know the guy socially... maybe. That said, you probably saved your money.

5. eddievddr10

I'm a pretty good people's person, so i think socially he wouldve enjoyed the conversation, i wasnt looking for an investment per se , just maybe get him interested enough to earn me some solid contacts, with his name attached to it.

6. eddievddr10

also i should note, my start-up is heavily charity oriented so i thought it would definitely strike a chord since hes giving up his time for this charity.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

What was the exact deal? 2.5k at a venue already selected? Why was he doing this/what charity was this for? Does it align closely with yours?

8. eddievddr10

its a predetermined venue i believe, but not sure on that, the charity was for disabled kids, my company is actually going to be aligning itself with as many charities as possible

9. johnaus

johnaus Member

Huh.. I can't work out why a real billionaire would even want to do this. Ignoring that the power of money, is that it allows you to make more money really fast.... If he was worth $1b and dropped it into a stock standard savings account at 5.25%, which is what my local bank is offering (http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/accounts/savings-accounts/netbank-saver/rates-fees.aspx) He would be making $5,993.15 per hour in interest.

Why would someone like that (who I assume is earning waaaay more than plebian bank savings account rates) be bothered having lunch with someone for $2.5k? $10k seems reasonable.

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

Nobody with decent money would dump their billion in a savings account are you actually serious?

As for the lunch, I'd say it's not really worth it. You have lunch and have a slight chance of getting some help, but you could get more press / momentum from a startup competition or getting a blog like TechCrunch or NYTimes tech to talk about your start up. There is a silicon valley startup called Let's Lunch that does something similar. A better deal would be to go to a political lunch / dinner, senator ones don't cost that much and if you want the big guns it's like $35k a plate for Obama. You could network better there and have more opportunities

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  11. eddievddr10

its for charity!:brick:

12. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

If you want to speak to a member of the Tisch family, apply for Techstars New York and a lunch meeting with David is part of the application process.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Will it be 1 on 1 or ...?

Unless he is self made I would say no with out considering it and if he is self made I would reed up on him and see if he could tell me something, that would relate to me and what I do.

14. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

you just started a startup, save every penny you can. you are going to need it.

15. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:brick: