• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overweight gentlemen, give me your insights in regards to pants.

MikeHaggarSSBM

Reaction score
For the sake off this post, i will define waist heights as this:
Low waist (what most retailers claim to be regular): below the belly
Medium waist: on the belly, below the belly button
High waist: on the belly button or above

Problems I have with each:

Low waist:
#1 Unavoidable showing off asscrack when you sit , if the circumference off your midsection is bigger the pants will get drug down further. A solution is pants with lots off elastane partially solves this, but those lose shape fast and gets stretched out unevenly, causing unsightly wrinkles. Won't last long, won't buy unless it's a bargain.
#2 Belly hangs over beltline which is unflattering

Medium waist:
Since my body is shaped like a cone downwards from my belly button, pants unavoidably slide down, ballooning or untucking the shirt, making the waistline look sloppy uness I constantly adjust it. Suspenders mostly counteract this, so I find medium rise with suspenders to be a good option.

High rise:
IMO the king off comfort for overweight men, works with both suspenders and a belt. My preference. Only disadvantage is that they are an unwanted fashion statement as they are rarer nowadays.

How other XL gentlemen deal with pants and what you choose would be great to hear!

Last edited:

Pulpo

Reaction score
Hey there, I've been reading up on dressing for a larger frame myself as a Gentleman of Moderate Size. I found this recent piece in Put This On and some older interviews with Ethan Newton of Brycelands (who is just an all-around style inspiration) to be pretty helpful. My preference is high rise, especially in the back, with a relaxed fit down through the thigh and a moderately large leg opening. Have I succeeded in finding a pair of trousers that fits just right? Absolutely not.

"For bigger guys building a wardrobe, I think the most common mistake is settling. There aren’t many good ready-to-wear options for our build, so when you find something cool that’s close to fitting well, it’s easy to feel like you should buy it. But eventually, you’ll find you’re not comfortable in the item or don’t look good in it, so you sell it for a loss."

"Few tailors, particularly in Japan, can fathom how much extra room a man like me needs in my stride – my walking thigh. Twenty-nine inch thighs probably get up to 33 inches when I lift my leg.

Then you need a back rise that’s high enough, because you lose inches of it when you lift your leg. That’s the only way to avoid what we call in Australia a ‘tradesman’s cleavage’."

"The shape of your body also tends to change with your number of years, and pants rise is also a part of dressing appropriately to your age. While younger men have a wider range of possibilities when considering rise, an older man wearing low-rise pants risks looking like he is trying to recapture his lost youth. However, for younger men too, low rise will maintain a perception of youthfulness, but a strong motive for wearing tailoring and classic menswear is to avoid dressing like a boy."

47932026172_69694be38e_z.jpeg

AAvRtwP.jpeg

JQHKSTP.jpeg

DUfPYyY.jpeg
EkHm0l6.jpeg
qvrcrki.jpeg

WSkTmih.jpeg

MikeHaggarSSBM

Reaction score
Thanks for the links! Enjoyed the articles.

Finding good pants OTR is nearly impossible with current low rise & slim leg trends. I've also made the mistake off buying pants that are "good enough", only to find them uncomfortable, never use them, and donate them after a year off gathering dust. What a waste off money!
My next will be MTM, I won't deal with the headache off trying on 12 pairs and sending them back. Pants that look like they have a nice fit are not available in my size. I've given up.

MTM recommendations for someone in Europe (sweden to be exact) are appreciated!

My favourite pairs, and my only quality pairs, are thrifted. Old suit pants can work great to wear on their own if the fabric is right.
I bought this horrendously boxy, oversized 90s three button light gray flannel suit for 20 dollars just for the pants. Best purchase ever.
It requires alot off luck to find our sizes and some time, but if you like looking around i thrift stores I can recommend it.

Last edited:

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Not exactly an 'XL gentleman,' but I have to take this sort of thing into consideration because my hips and relatively muscular thighs necessitate extra seat and leg room even when my stomach is basically flat. I've liked how the pants I've recently purchased from O'Connell's worked out (linen trousers and some chinos so far). Medium-high waist, comfortable seat/thigh with some taper to the legs, but not remotely 'slim fit.' They come with buttons for suspenders as well.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
My next will be MTM, I won't deal with the headache off trying on 12 pairs and sending them back. Pants that look like they have a nice fit are not available in my size. I've given up.

MTM recommendations for someone in Europe (sweden to be exact) are appreciated!

MTM: Blugiallo, has a store in Stockholm, will do trunk shows in Göteborg and Malmö sometimes. Good MTM by knowledgable people, made in Italy. Prices start at around 200 Euro. Had them make jeans for me before, and have some chinos coming in during May.

Bespoke: Götrich&Co in Stockholm does full bespoke at very reasonable (you know, as much as bespoke ever is reasonable) prices; starting at around 300 (mine usually land around 450) Euro for bespoke (most tailoring done in India through Cad&the Dandy). I find the full bespoke in casual wool (cavalry twill!) to be the best trousers out there - I'm not a classically large man, but I have thick legs, which means the current RTW trouser trend doesn't work for me. I've worn my cavalry twill bespoke trousers several times a week for a year, usually walking well over 10 000 steps a day, and they're still going strong. Among the best sartorial purchases I've made!

MikeHaggarSSBM

Reaction score
Thank you! I am situated in Gothenburg. I once ordered MTM trousers from Pari but they never arrived so I asked for my money back which I got. Not really planning on going back.
Do you know if Pelote in Gothenburg is any good? I fell in love with their "Sven Bertil Taube" buttont down collar walking by their store. Prizes seem very low, starting prize 1500 SEK for khakis & 2500 for wool trousers for example. I am personally OK with cheaper fabrics for trousers, but the cut has to be good.

Last edited:

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Thank you! I am situated in Gothenburg. I once ordered MTM trousers from Pari but they never arrived so I asked for my money back which I got. Not really planning on going back.
Do you know if Pelote in Gothenburg is any good? I fell in love with their "Sven Bertil Taube" buttont down collar walking by their store. Prizes seem very low, starting prize 1500 SEK for khakis & 2500 fot wool trousers for example. I am personally OK with cheaper fabrics for trousers, but the cut has to be good.

Fraid I got into CM after I left Gbg, so I haven't tried them, nor have I heard of anyone using them. Considering their prices (and the claim that they do their work in France, traditionally a high-cost country) I think their claim of "tailor made" sound a bit off, but that doesn't mean they are bad, they could just have a liberal interpretation of the phrase. They wouldn't be the only ones.

I personally find that good fabrics is a major requirement for trousers to last, but I wear mine pretty hard, so you might be able to get away with cheaper fabrics.

I just checked, and it seems Blugiallo has a store in Borås as well. And they're running a trunk show in Gbg on the 28th-29th of May (booking required, booking is open now on their web site). Might be worth checking out?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics