• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overt Skincare - Transparent, Effective, Charitable - Official Affiliate Thread

Overt

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is great to hear from a professional, twice a day is reasonable. I just ordered some Bioré, I’m looking forward to trying it. First amazon purchase in a long time, all the different options and retailers make it such an unpleasant experience. Do you have a particular dealer you trust? I’m in the US, not sure where you’re posting from.

I run outside a few mornings a week before beginning my day. I apply moisturizer/ sunscreen after taking a shower and washing my face when I get back... should I apply SPF before heading outside? Wondering what the best practices are here to balance overwashing and sun protection.

Great. We are also US based - I don't have a specific dealer I trust, I usually use Amazon.

If you are only running for a little bit, then you are probably safe applying it once you get back. Of course, best practice would be to apply it before and after your run. You could just apply it directly on your face without going through the rest of the process, go running, then do you AM skincare routine!

Gordoo

Reaction score
Hello, I just received my retexturizing duo set. The directions on both serums recommend I apply them at night whilst on the retexturizing duo page online, it is recommended to apply the brightener during the morning and the renewer at night. Which instructions should I follow? Thanks in advance.

Overt

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello, I just received my retexturizing duo set. The directions on both serums recommend I apply them at night whilst on the retexturizing duo page online, it is recommended to apply the brightener during the morning and the renewer at night. Which instructions should I follow? Thanks in advance.

Hey Gordoo,

In that case I would recommend applying the Vitamin C in the morning and the EGF at night!

Cheers

Rory

shortlefty

Reaction score
Just purchased the brightener and Hydrator set. Got a question on your video. Does the brightener act as a hydrator/toner?

What is your light and heavy moisturizer? I got the Cervae and the Biore sunscreen per your recommendation.

Also, what step would I add acid into my routine? After the serum?

Overt

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just purchased the brightener and Hydrator set. Got a question on your video. Does the brightener act as a hydrator/toner?

What is your light and heavy moisturizer? I got the Cervae and the Biore sunscreen per your recommendation.

Also, what step would I add acid into my routine? After the serum?

Hey Shortlefty!

So The Brightener helps even skin tone and brighten complexion, but it is not a toner nor a hydrator. What it does do is help your skin absorb and retain moisture longer by the inclusion of Hyaluronic Acid in the serum. It's the perfect AM serum to use.

Well right now in terms of moisturizers I am trialing samples of ones we hope to come out with in a few months. Before that I was using CeraVe Daily Moisturizer as my AM and Belif Hydrating Bomb as my PM.

If you are using an acid (like an AHA or BHA) I would recommend using them as a before the serum so your PM routine (because you'd use it PM mostly) would be

Cleanse
Acid
Serum
Moisturizer (if needed).

Let me know if I can clear anything else up!

shortlefty

Reaction score
Hey Shortlefty!

So The Brightener helps even skin tone and brighten complexion, but it is not a toner nor a hydrator. What it does do is help your skin absorb and retain moisture longer by the inclusion of Hyaluronic Acid in the serum. It's the perfect AM serum to use.

Well right now in terms of moisturizers I am trialing samples of ones we hope to come out with in a few months. Before that I was using CeraVe Daily Moisturizer as my AM and Belif Hydrating Bomb as my PM.

If you are using an acid (like an AHA or BHA) I would recommend using them as a before the serum so your PM routine (because you'd use it PM mostly) would be

Cleanse
Acid
Serum
Moisturizer (if needed).

Let me know if I can clear anything else up!

Thanks for this. What do you mean by "if needed"? Also, are toners not essential to every routine? How long should I let the acid sit on my Face

Overt

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for this. What do you mean by "if needed"? Also, are toners not essential to every routine? How long should I let the acid sit on my Face

Hey Shortlefty!

If needed just means if you feel you need additional moisture. Sometimes your skin will feel plump enough you don't need to layer on anything additional, but some people always do (like myself).

BHA and AHAs are designed, mostly, to be used overnight. I apply my BHA before bed and then wash it off when I wake up. This is product dependent though and I would suggest to follow whatever guidelines they give you for usage.

shortlefty

Reaction score
Hey Shortlefty!

If needed just means if you feel you need additional moisture. Sometimes your skin will feel plump enough you don't need to layer on anything additional, but some people always do (like myself).

BHA and AHAs are designed, mostly, to be used overnight. I apply my BHA before bed and then wash it off when I wake up. This is product dependent though and I would suggest to follow whatever guidelines they give you for usage.

So sometimes your pm routine doesn't involve serum or moisturizer? Just Cleanser and acid?

Also could you comment on if toners are essential? I always have used them.

Overt

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So sometimes your pm routine doesn't involve serum or moisturizer? Just Cleanser and acid?

Also could you comment on if toners are essential? I always have used them.

Hey Shortlefty!

Correct, sometimes (maybe once every couple weeks) I will only use a cleanser and acid.

Toner I don't use, I tend to rely on the routine that I outlined in the video. That said, it depends on the type of toner. I wouldn't encourage the use of an astringent (i.e. Thayer's Witch Hazel) toner as these can be irritating and quite drying. Other toners, like PH balancing toner, or hydrating toners can be used regularly with good effect.

It all depends on what type of toner you are using. As long as it is not an astringent with alcohol in it, it can be integrated into a good skincare routine :)

Cheers

Overt

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I hope your week is off to a good start. A question I've gotten a few times is about retinol. Retinol is a fantastic skincare ingredient but has a few things you should keep in mind when using it. Retinol helps smooth wrinkling by rapidly accelerating skin cell turnover, bringing forth vibrant and irresistibly smooth skin. It is great as part of an anti-aging routine and can be used to clear pores to keep your skin blemish free. Here is what to keep in mind:

1. Retinol makes your skin photo-sensitive, aka more likely to burn, so you want to be using it only in the PM. AM usage is not recommended.
2. It is a powerful ingredient but can be a potential irritant, our Retinol serum has a concentration of 2.5%, no fragrance, and has some soothing ingredients including jojoba oil, centella asiatica, aloe vera, green tea, and witch hazel - it makes it gentler on your skin but you still should patch test, and build up a tolerance by using it twice a week when you first purchase it.
3. Retinol is incredible effective, and with the right usage, can make your skin look incredible.

Cheers

Rory

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I would thank Rory @Overt for his guidance in my skincare needs earlier today. Great experience and I am looking forward to receiving my first order.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you’ve been so helpful in this thread, I’m wondering if you have any recommendations for something post-shave. Whether that’s aftershave, moisturizer, balm, etc. I’m open to suggestions. Oddly enough, my favorite that I’ve tried has been a super cheap Nivea thing from Target. It helps calm my skin but it dries it out a bit too much so I feel like I have to slather a disgusting amount of moisturizer on my face after.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads