Oversized watch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gin8u, Oct 7, 2009.

1. gin8u

gin8u Well-Known Member

I'm fairly young and I'm starting to buy dressier clothes, since my job requires it. However, I'm a big fan of large watches and I've been seeking (a white) one for quite some time... one that will break my bank.

My question... I rarely see unconventional oversized (51mm) watches paired with a suit, they tend to be smaller, classier, and a bit more discreet. Will the white oversized one look odd and/or out-of-proportion?

Here is what I've been looking at: http://www.peepculture.com/wp-conten...1-30_watch.jpg

your thoughts?

2. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

It's an OK fashion watch, but not a dress watch to be worn with a suit or sport coat. Keep your dress watch simple and wear that one on the weekend.

Twotone

3. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

Or you can just wear it on a chain around your neck. [​IMG] But seriously, I would never even consider spending $2K on a fashion watch. Either buy used or save a bit more and get a watch made by a company known for watchmaking. Maybe an Omega Planet Ocean, that's 47mm.

4. gin8u

gin8u Well-Known Member

Thanks for the prompt input.

Or you can just wear it on a chain around your neck.

[​IMG]

But seriously, I would never even consider spending $2K on a fashion watch. Either buy used or save a bit more and get a watch made by a company known for watchmaking. Maybe an Omega Planet Ocean, that's 47mm.

haha. you really think it's showing off too much "bling"? Personally, I thought it was tame with no stones sparkling in one's face.

It's a nice watch, but I'm assuming we have different tastes in watches. Personally I don't see the reasoning behind the price of the Omega Planet Ocean. The only thing seems interesting is the fact that it's a domed anti-reflective, scratch-resistant sapphire crystal and that James Bond wore it in Quantum of Solace.

I'd prefer to venture in IWC, i'm not sure of their price range, anything you'd recommend?

5. kuwisdelu

kuwisdelu Senior member

haha. you really think it's showing off too much "bling"?

When worn with an office suit? Yes.

When worn with a fashion suit? Go ahead.

6. Ryan Graber

Ryan Graber Senior member

the GV2 heritage is a bit oversized but still can function as a normal watch,
    anything of 50 mm would be a bit awkward imo.

7. Luddite

Luddite Senior member

The only thing seems interesting is the fact that it's a domed anti-reflective, scratch-resistant sapphire crystal and that James Bond wore it in Quantum of Solace.

The coaxial movement is very interesting, if you care about that sort of thing. That said, a Seamaster Professional or Speedmaster is probably more comparable in price to this, and more 'classic'.

Expensive watches should last decades, so I don't think it's wise to spend thousands on one that will slip out of fashion. So, I'd stick with the classic styles and brands, for this money.

8. level32

level32 Senior member

If I were you and wanted to get a big dress watch, the biggest I'd go with is a very slim and sleek 42mm crown one. Anything bigger than that would look odd for me under a suit for the office. I guess it comes down to personal preference, but I'd err on the slightly smaller side for the office.

9. whymakemedothis

whymakemedothis Senior member

oh wow that thing is ugly

10. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

hmmm.... a white watch?!

11. Mr.Sam

Mr.Sam Senior member

more importantly, how large is your wrist?

12. skrandhawa

skrandhawa Active Member

Definitely an ugly watch in my opinion, no offense. I've a penchant for Tag Heurer and Omega watches.

13. Marton

Marton Active Member

No.

I say go for a pam if you want oversized.

14. DGP

DGP Senior member

Thanks for the prompt input.

haha. you really think it's showing off too much "bling"? Personally, I thought it was tame with no stones sparkling in one's face.

It's a nice watch, but I'm assuming we have different tastes in watches. Personally I don't see the reasoning behind the price of the Omega Planet Ocean. The only thing seems interesting is the fact that it's a domed anti-reflective, scratch-resistant sapphire crystal and that James Bond wore it in Quantum of Solace.

I'd prefer to venture in IWC, i'm not sure of their price range, anything you'd recommend?

The IWC Big Pilot is one of the few "big watches" that I really like. Too big for me, but I think it looks good. It runs about $13.5k retail. IWC does have some larger watches, like the "regular" Ingenieur that was recently discontinued and could probably be had for just south of $5k from the right AD.

If you like the IWC pilot style, but don't want to drop that kind of coin on a watch, check this one out:
    http://www.pmwf.com/Phorum/read.php?4,134819,134819

Fairly uncommon and hard to find (I think it's discontinued).

What's your total budget?

15. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

To me, that white watch is marketed for the millionaire who has already amassed a decent collection of AP, JLC, Patek, and Omegas etc.

You state 3 things that stand out. One, you are fairly young, and two, a white watch, and three, an oversized one. You will likely look back years from now and think why you didn't get a more sensible watch back then. All of these, however, hangs on whether you are being paid very well now or very likely in the future. If so, go ahead and splurge.