• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overshoes/galoshes

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are all the rage in Norway now: http://www.swims.no/
green.jpg
The good thing seems to be that they're lined with some sort of fleecy stuff, - which polishes the shoes!
worship.gif
I'm getting a pair tomorrow - I'll report back.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Funny you should post that.

I just have seen them, earlier today, on display at Foster & Son in Jermyn Street. I thought that fleecy interior was quite a good idea and should make it easier to get them over the shoes (my Totes galoshes are a b**** to put on).

I didn't go into the shop to inspect them. Seeing them on the website, € 75.00 (almost 100 bucks) is quite a lot. (Other people pay that much for their dress shoes.)

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Tingley's black rubber galoshes - they work fine, but look a bit cheap, with some fake "moccasin" stitching around the toe:
moccasin.jpg
These look more substantial - and if they do polish the shoes somewhat, I'm sold on them. We'll see.

Gherkins

Reaction score
What I am still asking myself: what do you do with the overshoes once you enter a building?
Put them in your suit's pockets? Probably not. Hold them (soaking wet) in your hand while strolling through your business partner's lobby?
Enlighten me, please!

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gherkins
what do you do with the overshoes once you enter a building?
You leave them, together with your umbrella and your raincoat, at the cloak room (or wherever else you put your soaking wet gear).

Kasper

Reaction score
I think good shoes should be able to withstand a walk in the rain.

mendel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kasper
I think good shoes should be able to withstand a walk in the rain.

They won't withstand a walk in the slush, though. Especially when that slush was caused by heavy salting of an icy sidewalk.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mendel
They won't withstand a walk in the slush, though. Especially when that slush was caused by heavy salting of an icy sidewalk.

Well in those emergency situations you could always pull grocery bags over your shoes. This could also protect the bottom of your trousers if you tie the tops just above the cuffs. I actually did this in Chicago once and didn't mind how it looked because it was only a short trip between the taxi and the building that my appointment was in.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
These are all the rage in Norway now:

http://www.swims.no/

green.jpg

The good thing seems to be that they're lined with some sort of fleecy stuff, - which polishes the shoes!
worship.gif

I'm getting a pair tomorrow - I'll report back.

That seems like an exorbitant amount for overshoes.

WN2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kasper
Well in those emergency situations you could always pull grocery bags over your shoes.

In some places that's not an emergency situation but pretty much the standard circumstances for something like 3 months a year..

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well in those emergency situations you could always pull grocery bags over your shoes.
Surely that loses you more style points than you gain by wearing good shoes - you may as well have set out with some hiking boots on?

Certainly I'm wondering why I've brought a number of pairs of nice leather shoes recently when I daren't leave the house wearing them for fear of getting them wet / dirty / salt-stained.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads