• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

overrated foods/dishes

stayclassy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
let's see, you're in new mexico and you hate green chile and love lobster. I'd say you just might be in the wrong place.

haha believe me i know, but i said im not a fan of either lobster or green chili... but i would however be more suited down somewhere like Louisiana, i cant believe how good the food is in lafayette!

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've eaten in some really great restaurants and I can honestly say that there is nothing that i crave more than a well-made plate of cheese enchiladas, blue corn tortillas, green chile with a fried egg on top. when i go back to nm, i might eat it every day. that and sopaipillas.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Green chile = chile verde? I love that stuff. One of the few things my wife actually learned to cook from her family.

stayclassy

Reaction score
I enjoy mexican food, i just prefer red over green chili any day.. depending on where you visit in new mexico, i can suggest you some amazing places to eat.
Originally Posted by iammatt
Green chile = chile verde? I love that stuff. One of the few things my wife actually learned to cook from her family.
Nope green chili is a whole other thing, in all my travels i have only seen it in 4 states (arizona, texas, new mexico, colorado) before it is essentially sprayed with a flamethrower http://www.manataka.org/images/Green Chili.jpg after the cooking process http://media.photobucket.com/image/g...3/e099db4f.jpg

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything momofuku pawns on culturally bland Americans. Seriously, I have no idea why asian peasant food is selling for so much. I grew up eating $5 bowls after school every day.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
Everything momofuku pawns on culturally bland Americans. Seriously, I have no idea why asian peasant food is selling for so much. I grew up eating $5 bowls after school every day.

supply/demand

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stayclassy
I enjoy mexican food, i just prefer red over green chili any day.. depending on where you visit in new mexico, i can suggest you some amazing places to eat.

Nope green chili is a whole other thing, in all my travels i have only seen it in 4 states (arizona, texas, new mexico, colorado)

before it is essentially sprayed with a flamethrower
http://www.manataka.org/images/Green Chili.jpg

after the cooking process
http://media.photobucket.com/image/g...3/e099db4f.jpg

where are you from? Boston? It is "sprayed with a flamethrower" to char the skin for peeling ... just like almost any other cooked pepper you'll ever eat.
New Mexican green chile is just a regional adaptation of chile verde. it can be either a stew (usually with lamb and potatoes, mmmm), or a simple sauce served on enchiladas. New Mexico is a very poor state, both agriculturally and otherwise, so there isn't the rich assortment of other ingredients you might find in other Mexican regional cuisines ... no tomatillos, no cilantro, only one chile (served both green and red). it's a very austere cuisine, but when it's done right, i find it amazingly delicious.

LTJazz

Reaction score
The recent bacon craze. While tasty, it does not belong on, in, or around all foods. Not to mention, there are some other very tasty pork products one can enjoy aside from bacon.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis

ding ding ding - the best answer in the thread. 'Why does David Chang have the #26/50 best restaurant in the world when he serves fusion bao, Korean fried chicken, and Bossam?' I want to know the answer to this.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
calamari

stayclassy

Reaction score
where are you from? Boston? It is "sprayed with a flamethrower" to char the skin for peeling ... just like almost any other cooked pepper you'll ever eat.
New Mexican green chile is just a regional adaptation of chile verde. it can be either a stew (usually with lamb and potatoes, mmmm), or a simple sauce served on enchiladas. New Mexico is a very poor state, both agriculturally and otherwise, so there isn't the rich assortment of other ingredients you might find in other Mexican regional cuisines ... no tomatillos, no cilantro, only one chile (served both green and red). it's a very austere cuisine, but when it's done right, i find it amazingly delicious.

Actually i have lived in various parts of New Mexico my entire life. Chili verde is usually made with jalapenos, poblanos and pork, i would probably call chili verde an adaptation of green chili not the other way around. in New Mexico green chili is not limited to stew or sauce, it is found on everything from burritos to pizza. it is even often stuffed to make Chili Rellenos rather than jalapenos you would see in other states. i have personally roasted these chili's with a propane tank in my back yard. you may find it hard to believe, but there are some 200 different types of chili peppers. and the flavor from red chili is far different from that of green. This has even inspired the state to adopt an "official" question: "red or green?". when you request both these chilis on your food it is often called christmas. My school is even creating new peppers everyday, for those interested heres a link http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/.
As for no cilantro, i have no idea what makes you think that? every taco i eat had better have cilantro on it. i think just about every authentic mexican food restaurant in NM has cilantro, i have been to mexico several times and i promise you i know authentic mexican food
smile.gif
Although New Mexico isn't a particularly wealthy state it definitely makes up for it in beauty, just google "New Mexico Sunset". The entire state isn't just a desert like everybody thinks, there are several mountains and even a few lakes.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mac and cheese (ugh)

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stayclassy
Actually i have lived in various parts of New Mexico my entire life. etc.
just so you know ... i've lived in new mexico off and on since 1958. I was the only restaurant critic in the state for 4 years. I know new mexico and its food pretty well. Mexican chile verde is usually tomatillo-based stew with peppers. it's very good, but it's very different from new mexican. when i said enchiladas and stews, i was talking about the traditional uses. yes, today it does show up on pizza and hamburgers ... and i love a green-chile cheese burger. there are well more than 200 varieties of chile in the world, and i'm well aware of the work that's being done and has been done at nmstate. as far as my comment about cilantro ... again, i was referring to traditional new mexican food. new mexico is far too arid to grow cilantro, even though you do find it imported. if you're interested, read some old new mexican cookbooks ... fabiola gilbert is very good, and so is erna ferguson.
and, yes, new mexico is a very beautiful state, though poor.

stayclassy

Reaction score
just so you know ... i've lived in new mexico off and on since 1958. I was the only restaurant critic in the state for 4 years. I know new mexico and its food pretty well. Mexican chile verde is usually tomatillo-based stew with peppers. it's very good, but it's very different from new mexican. when i said enchiladas and stews, i was talking about the traditional uses. yes, today it does show up on pizza and hamburgers ... and i love a green-chile cheese burger. there are well more than 200 varieties of chile in the world, and i'm well aware of the work that's being done and has been done at nmstate. as far as my comment about cilantro ... again, i was referring to traditional new mexican food. new mexico is far too arid to grow cilantro, even though you do find it imported. if you're interested, read some old new mexican cookbooks ... fabiola gilbert is very good, and so is erna ferguson.
and, yes, new mexico is a very beautiful state, though poor.

This I can agree with
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads