• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overnight/Weekender Bag

PShow

Reaction score
Looking to spend up to $1000 on an overnight/weekender bag. I have looked at LV but not sure if it is too tacky! I have looked at some of the past threads for ideas. Any thoughts on Mulholland Brothers, Tumi Townhouse, Cole Haan, Filson to name a few. Any suggestions welcomed! Thank you!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
-"Where did you get that overnight bag?"
-"Jean-Paul Gaultier"

Just listen to Patrick Bateman.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Filsons are great! Check out Crane in the links above.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Perhaps a different look from what you are looking for, but I really like Sandstorm Kenya. I recently purchased their camel/cowhide weekender and it has been working well for me thus far.

They will also send you a set of swatches if you fill out a request form online.

PShow

Reaction score
Thanks for the Mulberry suggestion! And "Thanks" to all for the continued suggestions!

Luckyguy

Reaction score
Tumi and Filson are great. Hartmann used to be better; their old lines are great quality.
Having owned all those brands, I found that I enjoy using my Glaser Designs duffel bag the most.
GD is based in San Francisco; although their bags are not inexpensive, the quality of leather and workmanship is commendable.

Luckguy

MaxJones

Reaction score
I recently shopped for bags and I bought a few bags made by Brunello Cucinelli. I like the classic, masculine look and the wool, cashmere and leather. Gorgeous bags.

I didn't pay retail, or even close, but if you keep your eyes open you can find them for sale on eBay and on the FS section here on SF.

Charlie Big Potato

Reaction score
LVBag.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We've got a dufflebag Appreciation thread that might be of interest to you.

Lambertson Truex makes excellent duffles that are well priced for their quality ($500-700). Tumi is sturdy but overall boring as hell. Bric's has some lines that are quite nice and all are quite well made.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
I have some Briggs and Riley and Tumi which is great if you want tough and practical but not stylish. My Mulholland Angler's bag is OK but neither tough nor particularly stylish and I wouldn't buy it again.

I've just bought a Filson medium duffle and medium travel bag after a lot of recommendation everywhere. I haven't used them in anger yet and beauty is in the eye of the beholder (I have tan and love them) but one can't deny that they are very solidly built. I also have their Field Satchel and (excuse my Englishness here) it's bloody great. Not big enough for overnighting, though.

I did consider having a weekend bag made from Bridle Leather to my own design and was quoted around £700 by a couple of master saddlers here in the UK. This might be a good route to consider if it's a lifetime bag you're after - you certainly won't be wasting money on marketing or distribution - all your money goes into materials and construction.

Good luck, TB.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of weekend bags, some of which were quite expensive. But I always find myself just using a less stylish wheeled carry-on bag. If you have to lug it around at all and aren't just going door-to-door by car, I find a weekend bag to be a pain in the proverbial ass and the literal shoulder.

PShow

Reaction score
Thanks again for the suggestions. I looked at LV, Burberry, Ferragamo and Prada tonight. Nice bags but over 2K, not sure they are worth that. Anyone familiar with J.W. Hulme products? Came across them when searching the web?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads