• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overly short haircut - how should I grow it out? How long will it take?

D_Max_C

Reaction score
So my usual barber up in DC does a great job, and gave me an awesome, awesome cut 2 months ago that grew out perfectly. Normally I'd stick with him until the end of time, but I've been stuck at home in TX for the past 4 weeks, before I leave to go off on study abroad. I decided to get my hair cut ahead of time so I wouldn't have to worry about getting my hair cut abroad, at least not for the first month or two.

Anyway, the barber I went to yesterday was a nice guy, but went a LOT shorter than I wanted. So now I'm trying to figure out how long until my current haircut, here:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...litM/ohno1.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...g?t=1283475062

grows out enough to look like my previous cut, which was awesome w/ perfect proportions:
http://img443.imageshack.us/i/pic1cs.jpg/
http://img17.imageshack.us/i/photolra.jpg/

The sides and top are much shorter, but I don't know if the bangs are the same length. I loved my last cut because, as it grew out, the bangs stayed proportional to the sides, without getting too long. I don't know if my current cut will grow out in the same way or not or if I'll have to get a trim down the road.

For now though, I'm hoping 2 weeks is enough time to make my cut look a little less harsh. I'm going to be meeting a ton of new people in 14 days and I want to be feeling confident, not self-conscious about my appearance.
If anyone could tell me how many weeks it will take for current cut to look like previous cut, or what the differences in length are between the two cuts, I'd really appreciate it a lot!

(As well as any general haircut advice, lol.)

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
I've always read that hair grows on average about 1/2 inch per month. You can probably do the math.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'll take 14 years for your hair to grow back to where it was.

Adam_Lee

Reaction score
Looks like the new barber didn't add any texture, I'd imagine in about 2 weeks the harsh edges like your bangs will smooth out. In the future don't let him cut your hair straight across in any hard geometric shapes.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
It'll take 14 years for your hair to grow back to where it was.

That was hilarious.

PhunGar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze
I've always read that hair grows on average about 1/2 inch per month. You can probably do the math.
i think its about there to 1 inch depending 1/2 -1 inch. However its not long your aiming for a long hairstyle anyway not liek 3-6 inch so month or two at most. imo. ps. i think they look very similar before and after

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Water daily and add a good fertilizer for quicker growth!

shademore

Reaction score
You should really try cutting it yourself next time.

etb

Reaction score
My observation: hair grows faster when you work out and/or run every day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads