Overlooked brands/labels...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

I may be wrong but doesn't Costco carry them? I believe they did a few years back.
    Also, I am in Toronto Canada so may be of little help to you there in Cali.

I'm not a member.. [​IMG] My mom is, though. Perhaps I should ask her for the hookup.

2. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Short list of some lesser-praised brands on SF that I happily own:

Jackets
    Pal Zileri- 2 sport jackets, shirts, and pants and enjoy all of them.
    DAKS London- 2 sport jackets and they are well made. No complaints.
    SAXON- A wonderful velvet sport jacket in royal blue that I wear in colder months. Love it.
    John Varvatos- 1 jacket and 1 shirt. Well made jacket but cheap shirt; both way over-priced.
    Massimo Dutti- 1 sport jacket. No complaints.
    Warren Cook- Toronto company (now out of business) 2 jackets; both well made.
    Bogart- (small boutique St Clair-Yonge) 1 sport jacket I wear a lot and receive a lot of compliments on.

Shirts
    Maxwell's A few MTM (great quality fabrics, patterns and prices for the price)
    Hathaway Who didn't grow up with this brand in North America? Good quality.
    Van Heusen Another good and reliable shirt.
    BOSS (Black Label) Great shirts as good as any other make.
    SIGNUM some very dynamic patterns. Nice quality.
    Burberry Never gets enough love on SF but very nice and conservative.
    J.P. Tilford/Samuelsohn Wonderful conservative shirts.
    Harry Rosen An excellent starter shirt for higher end. Start with their white or cream.

TIES
    MOORES (Joseph & Feiss, etc)
    I have no problem with these at all, even though they are made in China.
    (It was the Chinese after all that invented silk to begin with)
    Some excellent ties can be found at Moores, even seven-folds, and for comparatively very little money (under $30 ea).
    Many eye-catching colours & patterns as well.

Pants
    Keithmoor 2 pair of twill pants I love to wear.
    Perry's (Colonade-Bloor St. Toronto) Nice dress pants in nice colours.
    Brax (Dist- Harry Rosen) I have several pair of their pants. Good quality.
    Victorinox Good quality and very comfy
    Tilley Endurables Some fabrics are too rough for my liking but they do wear like iron.

Footwear
    ROOTS Unsure whether their ROOTS TUFF line is still made in Canada or not..maybe not?
    SOREL Can withstand many many Canadian winters. The 'Canada Goose' of winter boots.

Winter Parkas
    Mark's Work Warehouse Unsure what, if any is made in Canada anymore but their parkas are every bit as good as Canada Goose,
    and for much less $$...and no one will steal it. [​IMG]
    The one I own is a dark blue 'industrial' looking parka that keeps me oh -so toasty warm.
    Mine was made in South Korea and is of purely excellent quality. 16yrs old and going strong.

I look forward to reading other people's lists.
    This thread deserves to be epic.

They used to have those Daniel Hechter dress shirts with big collar (Bryan Colangelo type) which are perfect for the no-tie look at Winners for $20. I wish I had stocked up on them.

Club Monaco also have some decent stuff for the money from time to time.

As wlel, my two favorite sweaters are Victorinox Mahale Full-Zip Cardigan.

Patagonia also have some well designed stuff - especially their vests, for layering for the business casual days.

3. BBC

BBC Senior member

I recently got a pair of trousers at a local men's store from a brand called Berle. Had never heard of them before, but they appear to have a massive variety of cuts and market to old guard men's stores, rather than consumers. Pretty nice quality, not a sartorgasm or anything, but the cut is spot on.

Berle is quite popular among the "trad" set as offering very good quality, and traditional cut, for very reasonable prices. I particularly like their flannels. Their chinos - branded either as "Berle" or "Charleston Khakis" - are easily as good as Bills Khakis and considerably cheaper.

4. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

My favorite jacket is Pal Zileri. It has some of the most handwork and one of the softest canvasses of all of my jackets (including much more expensive brands). problem is that I'm losing a lot of weight and now it's massive on me. [​IMG]

Which line? I have a Pal Zileri Sartoriale jacket, nicely made, but I don't see much handwork.

5. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you.

Mike

6. mickey711

mickey711 Senior member

Ovadia and Sons:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

I know about his mainline and the PS line but recently saw a few pieces from his runway line which I'd never heard about before. Quite edgy and much slimmer fit. Pricey though.

IMO, Smith would make a perfect replacement for Boss. quite a wide rangeing collection, interesting styles, ok quality, slightly high priced, a little flashy, etc... I wish more PS stuff was around North America. I'm a fan.

I have a Paul Smith tweed overcoat that is awesome. They have some nice sports coats at Holts right now, marked down to ~$500 (though not in the size 38 that I need).

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

There's a little company in Edinburgh named Walker Slater (might have a shop in London) and I quite liked their stuff. sort of country gentleman like (if you like ManOfKent's style you may like these guys)

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

IMO, Smith would make a perfect replacement for Boss. quite a wide rangeing collection, interesting styles, ok quality, slightly high priced, a little flashy, etc... I wish more PS stuff was around North America. I'm a fan.

I always did like PS stuff, I could easily see more folks here buying it particularly in department stores. Some PS items are actually made in Italy, I had a PS that was wool/cashmere blend and had buffalo horn buttons. It was far more expensive than any Boss suit I ever bought, and the fit was far slimmer as well.

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

BOSS (Black Label) Great shirts as good as any other make.
    Burberry Never gets enough love on SF but very nice and conservative.

I would not exactly say the labels are unkown or underground [​IMG].

I see your point though, they do not get much coverage on SF.

But then again neither do the other fashion houses/labels. How many threads contain these words: Dior, YSL, Prada, Dolce, Gucci, Armani, etc etc

When people talk about quality clothing, the usual fashion labels are demoted to the second tier of mens clothing. Burberry probably occupies the bottom of a second tier, Boss Black label arguably occupies the top of the third tier of mens clothing - good reasonable stuff without causing spasms of excitement.

11. bluetree110

bluetree110 Senior member

I personally really like Eton shirts, but I literally never hear any talk of them here. Occasionally they have shown up on B&S and there is never any interest in them. They are sharp looking dress shirts that wear well all day.

12. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

Etro

13. Torrente

Torrente Well-Known Member

14. Getzione

Getzione Senior member

I think Mabro offers a great bang for buck. Also, PT01 doesnt get much attention.