• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overlooked brands/labels...

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I really just meant Zileri as an example... do you guys have favorite houses that nobody seems to know about?

For casuals, I love Stone Island and Moschino stuff. They are not that well-known over here in CA.

Formal/smart casual wear, I like Paul Smith as an off-beat brand. Paul Smith is more popular in Europe but Im pretty sure he has a small following here in the United States.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Formal/smart casual wear, I like Paul Smith as an off-beat brand. Paul Smith is more popular in Europe but Im pretty sure he has a small following here in the United States.
I know about his mainline and the PS line but recently saw a few pieces from his runway line which I'd never heard about before. Quite edgy and much slimmer fit. Pricey though. IMO, Smith would make a perfect replacement for Boss. quite a wide rangeing collection, interesting styles, ok quality, slightly high priced, a little flashy, etc... I wish more PS stuff was around North America. I'm a fan.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short list of some lesser-praised brands on SF that I happily own: Jackets Pal Zileri- 2 sport jackets, shirts, and pants and enjoy all of them. DAKS London- 2 sport jackets and they are well made. No complaints. SAXON- A wonderful velvet sport jacket in royal blue that I wear in colder months. Love it. John Varvatos- 1 jacket and 1 shirt. Well made jacket but cheap shirt; both way over-priced. Massimo Dutti- 1 sport jacket. No complaints. Warren Cook- Toronto company (now out of business) 2 jackets; both well made. Bogart- (small boutique St Clair-Yonge) 1 sport jacket I wear a lot and receive a lot of compliments on. Shirts Maxwell's A few MTM (great quality fabrics, patterns and prices for the price) Hathaway Who didn't grow up with this brand in North America? Good quality. Van Heusen Another good and reliable shirt. BOSS (Black Label) Great shirts as good as any other make. SIGNUM some very dynamic patterns. Nice quality. Burberry Never gets enough love on SF but very nice and conservative. J.P. Tilford/Samuelsohn Wonderful conservative shirts. Harry Rosen An excellent starter shirt for higher end. Start with their white or cream. TIES MOORES (Joseph & Feiss, etc) I have no problem with these at all, even though they are made in China. (It was the Chinese after all that invented silk to begin with) Some excellent ties can be found at Moores, even seven-folds, and for comparatively very little money (under $30 ea). Many eye-catching colours & patterns as well. Pants Keithmoor 2 pair of twill pants I love to wear. Perry's (Colonade-Bloor St. Toronto) Nice dress pants in nice colours. Brax (Dist- Harry Rosen) I have several pair of their pants. Good quality. Victorinox Good quality and very comfy Tilley Endurables Some fabrics are too rough for my liking but they do wear like iron. Footwear ROOTS Unsure whether their ROOTS TUFF line is still made in Canada or not..maybe not? SOREL Can withstand many many Canadian winters. The 'Canada Goose' of winter boots. Winter Parkas Mark's Work Warehouse Unsure what, if any is made in Canada anymore but their parkas are every bit as good as Canada Goose, and for much less $$...and no one will steal it.
smile.gif
The one I own is a dark blue 'industrial' looking parka that keeps me oh -so toasty warm. Mine was made in South Korea and is of purely excellent quality. 16yrs old and going strong. I look forward to reading other people's lists. This thread deserves to be epic.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Hathaway Who didn't grow up with this brand in North America? Good quality.

I used to have a couple items including underwear from this brand. Where can you get this brand now?

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart MTM. Especially with shirts. Made in NYC and start at $227 and have a 3 shirt minimum, plus the suiting prices aren't bad. Their new Greenfield bespoke option is just $3,900, compared to Flusser's $5,000 for the same manufacturer.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
Bamford and Sons, now defunct.

+1...excellent...and I didn't know they're gone
frown.gif

matt22616

Reaction score
I recently got a pair of trousers at a local men's store from a brand called Berle. Had never heard of them before, but they appear to have a massive variety of cuts and market to old guard men's stores, rather than consumers. Pretty nice quality, not a sartorgasm or anything, but the cut is spot on.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I'm curious to hear more about some of the brands that seem to get overlooked or simply never discussed?

for example, I hear very little about Pal Zileri but personally love their styling and am surprised they aren't worn by more of you guys? why not, is it distribution, pricing, styleing?

do you have any favorites that nobody around here seems to know about? what do you have from them, what do you think of the quality, price, styling, etc... Who knows, maybe someone'll discover your favorite brand and grow to love it too!

My favorite jacket is Pal Zileri. It has some of the most handwork and one of the softest canvasses of all of my jackets (including much more expensive brands). problem is that I'm losing a lot of weight and now it's massive on me.
frown.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
I used to have a couple items including underwear from this brand. Where can you get this brand now?

I may be wrong but doesn't Costco carry them? I believe they did a few years back.
Also, I am in Toronto Canada so may be of little help to you there in Cali.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads