• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overlapping cuff buttons

bookish

Reaction score
This has got to be the most pedantic style question I've ever thought of, but should overlapping jacket cuff buttons be angled toward the shoulder or the wrist? Or is the arrangement an indication of the wearer's mood? Inquiring minds and all that.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may reveal my extreme philistinism but I tend to angle mine in every which way - some pointing toward the shoulder and some toward the cuff. I have several of my jackets made with five buttons, which makes for an even more messy cuff button situation. I have also been in moods where angle them all in one direction.

By the way, my justification for five buttons is that my arms are very long and it might do a tiny bit to diminish this great appearance of length. But I confess that I got the idea from that most vulgar of brands, Gucci.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bookish
This has got to be the most pedantic style question I've ever thought of

Yet, for this forum, it's a rather pedestrian query.

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Now we just have to argue about it for 15 pages.
I think they should be angled towards the cuff. Cuff is right.
devil.gif
Shoulder is evil.

Newton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
I think they should be angled towards the cuff. Cuff is right.
devil.gif
Shoulder is evil.

And they're off!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It has to be toward the cuff (that is, outer edges down). This suggests extroversion and an outward-looking disposition. It also makes you look stronger.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
It has to be toward the cuff (that is, outer edges down). This suggests extroversion and an outward-looking disposition. It also makes you look stronger.
The last word.

Oh, wait, one more last word. This discussion presumes that "scalloped" sleeve buttons are acceptable in the first place. When, of course, they are not.

bookish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Oh, wait, one more last word. This discussion presumes that "scalloped" sleeve buttons are acceptable in the first place. When, of course, they are not.

Darn. I just replaced the two-button cuffs on an old Brooks jacket with four overlapping buttons. Do I have to redo them? Will someone smite me?

Keep in mind they're non-functional. I always thought non-functional buttons in a straight row lacked interest and looked like, well, an OTR machine-sewn feature.

But if they're an unholy sin I can take them off. I can't find anything about this in the forum archives. I wasn't warned!
plain.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bookish
Darn. I just replaced the two-button cuffs on an old Brooks jacket with four overlapping buttons. Do I have to redo them? Will someone smite me?

Keep in mind they're non-functional. I always thought non-functional buttons in a straight row lacked interest and looked like, well, an OTR machine-sewn feature.

But if they're an unholy sin I can take them off. I can't find anything about this in the forum archives. I wasn't warned!
plain.gif

It's a mistake to take my pronouncements too seriously. Except, maybe, when I am being serious. And probably even then ...

That said, I don't like scalloped buttons and consider them a sort of flashy innovation that serves no purpose and is less elegant than the arrangement it is meant to replace.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a mistake to take my pronouncements too seriously. Except, maybe, when I am being serious. And probably even then ...

That said, I don't like scalloped buttons and consider them a sort of flashy innovation that serves no purpose and is less elegant than the arrangement it is meant to replace.

Manton, by scalloped buttons do you mean stacked or overlapping buttons, or something else?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Manton, by scalloped buttons do you mean stacked or overlapping buttons, or something else?
Overlapping.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Overlapping.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure it wasn't the drugs talking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads