1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Overhyped beauties

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by esquire., Aug 17, 2004.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Tacky.

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

the people who are rich yet not 'celebrity': i would bet they simply don't want to be celebrity. there are exceptions, but among people of means, i would guess that generally the famous and not-famous are in those camps because they want to be.

3. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Overhyped beauties -

Cameron Diaz - she used to be hot, but what happened?

Drew Barrymore - when did she become a sex symbol.... and why?

Bradford - obviously not a big fan of the Charlie's Angels movies.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

renee zellweiger and gwyneth paltrow have brilliant futures, if they want to claim them.
    A friend of mine worked with her in a restaurant (they were both waitresses at the time) in Texas long before Jerry Maguire. Â Apparently, contrary to the "nice girl" image she cultivates on and offscreen, she was a queen b*tch. Â I don't care. Â That movie still made me cry - one of the few movies acceptable for a man to cry during, imo.
    I disagree. Â The only movies for which it is acceptable for a man to cry are ones in which a man is bonding with his father (Field of Dreams, Return of the Jedi, etc.) Â Once it is okay to cry when watching Jerry Maguire, it is a short drop down the slippery slope to Titanic, The Joy Luck Club, and the episode of Friends in which Ross kisses Rachel for the first time. Just my opinion.

5. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

What about Brian's Song? Who didn't cry?

And you cried during Return of the Jedi? I just wanted my money back...

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The only movies during which a man can cry and indisputably keep his manhood intact are movies in which the protagonist either 1) sacrifices a crowning sports (or sports related)achievement for his personal convictions (Chariots of Fire), or 2) sacrifices pretty much everything (but keeps his integrity intact) in order to achieve a crowning sports moment (Prefontaine), and (usually) burns out after it. Jerry Maguire has both.

Bonding with your father? Field of Dreams? Next thing, you guys are going to say that it is acceptable to sit around in some Iron John Camp bonding with other naked guys. Not to mention that the presence of Kevin "Waterworld" Costner taints any movie.

7. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

I honestly never cry when watching movies, but every time I watch E.T. my eyes get a little misty.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Schindler's List will make anyone cry.

I did not cry during Jerry McGuire...I was waiting for the money to show, but it never did (can see tomatoes being thrown in my direction).

Jon.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Ah, the male stereotype. [​IMG]

10. LA Guy

Okay, not a sports movie, but a deserving exception.

No, the normative male. I believe in the greek ideal of sound body, sound mind. The ancient Chinese had a similar ideal, that a complete man should be versed in both martial arts and poetry, i.e. be both a scholar and a warrior. Maybe I'm a retrograde bastard, but I like that.

11. quill

quill Senior member

Not to get too far off topic, but isn't it true that women like guys who are dangerously rugged, yet just happen to have the purring heart of a kitten? "Woman is fickle," so went the opera song. And who knows WHEN a woman wants WHICH quality? Anybody's guess. A tough guy could cry at a movie, and she'd love it. But on another day, she'd think the guy was a wimp. How I managed to get married, I'll never know. [​IMG]

12. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

LAGuy: Which part of Jerry M. did your ocular glands start overacting? Personally, I wasn't a big fan of that movie but am interested what the emotional part was.

Renne Z. is one of those weird beauties. Sometimes, she looks so ordinary and plain. Other times, she looks pretty attractive but still less attractive than that actress in Mall Rats and Chasing Amy even though they look alike.

Anyone ever noticed that there are these stars, and a poor man version of that star. They will look really alike, yet one of them has become a great star. I think I've seen a poor man version of brad pitt; he's stuck doing TV movies.

13. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Jerry Maguire was a good movie, didn't make me cry, but a good movie.

Unfortunately, in reality, the Arizona Cardinals return to their normal ways, cut Rod Tidwell a year later in the off season before he gets the balloon payment from his new contract, so he never sees the money. Tidwell signs with another team and goes on to win the Super Bowl. The Cards draft a young prospect who misses all of training camp and they don't succeed in signing until after the second game of the season. Once again the Cards go 3 and 13.

Bradford <--- a frustrated Phoenix sports fan.

P.S. Saving Private Ryan was a movie that did make me cry.

14. LA Guy

"She loves you. If you don't love her, you've got to tell her."

Also, the part where Cuba Gooding Jr. demands to see Tom Cruise in the middle of the press conference. That's friendship.

15. LA Guy

My experience, if that is anything to go by, is that women like a guy who is both sensitive to their needs and have the confidence and the strength (both emotional and physical) to protect them up and hold them up when need it. Not contradictory things. Some guys mistake sensitiveness with sensitivity - two different things altogether. I think that women dislike emotionally uninvolved guys as much as they dislike needy guys. It's just easier to spot the needy ones right away.

16. DennyB

DennyB Member

Way overrated, looks-wise. All are attractive, but none of these are sexy to me. Some of these were named before, so... ditto on those.

-Kirsten Dunst
    -Julia Roberts
    -Selma Hayek
    -Jennifer Lopez
    -Pamela Anderson - used to be incredible, now... too trashy with the bleach and excess makeup
    -Jenny McCarthey - used to look a lot better but... WTF?
    -Gwenneth Paltrow
    -Nicole Kidman
    -The Dahm Triplets... definitely above average, but... the attraction is the triplets thing
    -Kate Hudson - mom was much, much hotter back in the day
    The new(er) chick who replaced Brooke Burke as the host "Wild On" for E. (how about an ass implant?)
    -Christina Aguilara
    -Reese Witherspoon
    - Uma Thurman

That's a start, anyway

17. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I agree that Cameron Diaz is totally overhyped, nowadays. She used to be hotter when she had some meat on her bones. Man, did you see her in Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas? *smoking*