• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overdressing

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I attend a highschool where wearing an ocbd with your jeans is considered "dressed up." In this type of situation, what would you consider being overdressed? Wearing chinos? A blazer, etc.? Alternativly, how "dressed up" are you on a day to day basis? How far is going too far? Sorry if this could be answered in the small questions thread, but I thought it merited a thread.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore blazers and sportcoats in highschool. Badly.
just dont be an eccentric about it. skip the sportcoats and get some really nice dress shirts or something.

I overdress for college daily now, but i really dont care as much anymore. You really have to get used to your clothes in order for it to not look like youre dressing up.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I would not be overdressed in high school.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go to a state college in San Diego, and I really think dressing 'up' would be to your disadvantage. I see a kid who looks like a runway model every once in awhile, solid black oufit with pointy black dress shoes, black peacoat/jacket thing, black leather messanger bag, all designer stuff. He looks silly and out of place next to the kids in jeans and sandals. He's always alone, and doesn't look approachable at all.

IMO, at school and college, just wear clean, ironed clothes where the colors compliment each other well, and that fit. Stick with the same basic style as everyone else though (wear jeans, sandals, and a T-shirt, but just do it a little *better*).

The kids who wear suits to class look like they're trying too hard. They've got 30 years to wear a suit, no one is impressed by the fact you're starting a year or two early.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya. I go to college in the middle of new york, and everytime i see a kid in a suit and some duckbill shoes I just figure he has an interview or something

Sportcoats and odd trousers are probably as far as I'd go, and i wouldnt do it in HS. In HS id probably stick to some untucked buttondowns and sweaters and jeans.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
Alternativly, how "dressed up" are you on a day to day basis? How far is going too far? Sorry if this could be answered in the small questions thread, but I thought it merited a thread.
A nice button up shirt, a pair of dark jeans, and some leather shoes is the farthest I'm willing to go for casual day to day. Sometimes I even wonder if the shoes look a little too dressed up.

It depends on the environment too. You wouldn't want to wear a suit to someone's house party.

Originally Posted by longskate88
I go to a state college in San Diego, and I really think dressing 'up' would be to your disadvantage. I see a kid who looks like a runway model every once in awhile, solid black oufit with pointy black dress shoes, black peacoat/jacket thing, black leather messanger bag, all designer stuff. He looks silly and out of place next to the kids in jeans and sandals. He's always alone, and doesn't look approachable at all.

IMO, at school and college, just wear clean, ironed clothes where the colors compliment each other well, and that fit. Stick with the same basic style as everyone else though (wear jeans, sandals, and a T-shirt, but just do it a little *better*).

The kids who wear suits to class look like they're trying too hard. They've got 30 years to wear a suit, no one is impressed by the fact you're starting a year or two early.

+1, it looks ridiculous to be decked out in a bunch of gear if you're not a runaway model.

Fortysomething

Reaction score

Agreed--wholeheartedly!

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm fortunate... I manage to be alone and unapproachable on a much smaller budget!

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bullocks! don't listen to this guy, wear whatever the hell you desire. I take a rebel stand on conformity.

epliohunk

Reaction score

What abouf it he really likes his stuff? Should he dress differently in order to fit in? Maybe he's genuinely interested into fashion and designer clothes.

One could say that I dress up for school, or that I dress to impress. It really isn't the case, I just happen to like the pieces I wear and I would never, absolutely never wear "simplier" stuff just for the sake of fitting in.

skunkworks

Reaction score
I wouldn't go to a black tie event in a loud odd jacket, and I wouldn't go to high school or college looking like a runway model either. People will prejudge you based on what you're wearing, whether it's a blazer or a Ed Hardy shirt. If you want to look appropriate, dress appropriately. If you want attention and weird looks, then don't.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

This is probably the best advice you will read here. Fit in but just look a little bit better. You can be yourself, but dont be a tool.
/thread

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
a well dressed guy is never overdressed or underdressed. He's always appropriate for his environment, yet always a step ahead of everyone else in the suss dept.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
+1 This is probably the best advice you will read here. Fit in but just look a little bit better. You can be yourself, but dont be a tool. /thread
No. Every post in this topic aside from Soupers, Rocks and GS is...how can I put this... I am a college student and I dress how I want to. People respect me for it. Some people don't get it. Some people (who don't know me) probably talk ****. I don't care. I have a lot of friends and I have an attitude, therefore, no one questions it. It's not hard to do. A better way to put this is like this: if you have a thing for fashion and you have respect for yourself and your identity you shouldn't let what other people think stop you. I suppose most of you who are making the comments I'm attacking aren't so into fashion though, but if you want to dress up, do it!

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends... Are you dressing up because you want people to think you're dressed up, or are you just dressing the way you like and that happens to be overdressed? If it's the latter, go for it, if people ask you about it, just tell them that you like to dress that way and it's the way you're most comfortable. Yes, dressing in a certain way has an effect on the way people see you, but if you are DRESSING LIKE YOURSELF, then just wear whatever you want to wear and you'll never be embarrassed. If you look like you're uncomfortable in what you're wearing, people can tell. If you look at home in whatever you're wearing, and legitmately are, then it shouldn't bother you what people think.

I like Andrew's post a lot. If other people don't get it, they don't have to. Just tell them that's what you're interested in. If people ask who I'm trying to impress I always say "No one, I just dress myself the way I WANT TO LOOK."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads