• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overdressing for Work?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentley
Will do.

Thanks for the interest and the support. It's been an interesting project for me so far.

I think this is all pretty funny, especially given the mental health aspect.

It sort of like you're conducting an experiment on your co-workers.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Is there a limit on what kind of ties you can wear for business casual?

Whilst for business formal I'd only wear pretty conservative ties, is the opposite true of business casual, can you wear some quite colourful ties?

Not that this tie is particularly daring, but is this acceptable in a business casual environment of are darker colours required? http://www.fourinhand.com/Product.as...ct=FH80E-DM-05

And what about knit ties, are they acceptable?

So confusing!

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by worth
I'm wearing a tie once a week. First time, again, it was tough. Someone asked me if I was going to court.
It's just friendly banter. People will chat about any change they notice. I'm betting that if you started that job wearing a suit and tie you wouldn't have heard a single comment except initial advice that you didn't have to wear it if you didn't want to.

worth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
It's just friendly banter. People will chat about any change they notice. I'm betting that if you started that job wearing a suit and tie you wouldn't have heard a single comment except initial advice that you didn't have to wear it if you didn't want to.

Yeah, it wasn't a big deal. I think most people have got used to it now. Now when I don't wear a tie (which is 4/5 days) people say "What, no tie today?"

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JammieDodger
Is there a limit on what kind of ties you can wear for business casual?

That's more of what you want to project for yourself. Do you want the attention or are you simply dressing to show you take care of yourself in a professional environment?

It's an honest question. Some people want to go to work and attract interns, divorced mothers and admins.

Originally Posted by JammieDodger
And what about knit ties, are they acceptable?

I had one person who asked me whether I got my knit tie caught in a copier machine because it's square. I also had my boss' admin come closer to stroke it. Again, attention you want or you just want to show you take your job seriously? (my company has one casual day every month, last Friday of the month and my boss was out of the office)

To be honest, the only time you'll get serious rules on tie choice is if your company gives a damn. If they're the polo & khaki crowd or patrons of the $100 department store suit sale, and they've accepted you with a neck tie, they won't give a damn about your tie choice unless you wear some outrageous souvenir tie.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to be working in a business formal environment soon and couldnt be happier. Required to be clean shaven and wearing a tie mon-thurs. Casual friday.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure if people in Canada had to pick one "Hick" city, 90% of the population would pick Calgary. Alberta is known as the Texas of Canada, and we have the Calgary Stampede every year, so yes, Calgary is probably a bit of a Hick City. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary The main business here is Oil and Gas. Many of the blue collar guys around here are Rig Pigs or Roughnecks. So yeah, think Texas of Canada. If I worked in Downtown Calgary, i'd blend in with a suit. But since I work for a manufacturing company, our business is located in the industrial part of town, which has a lot more relaxed blue collar feel obviously. I'll add "Calgary" to my profile.
wink.gif

Sorry just catching up worth. I'm from Calgary as well and work downtown. You would blend in more, however, I am surprised at the number of guys who still wear a golf shirt so old that the collar has turned in and up and khakis too short. Not a lot of menswear shops in this town either. At least for suits.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
I am also enjoying the thread but it would be more interesting with photos.

+1

Lets see it

worth

Reaction score
Nice to see some other Calgary fellows on here. Cheers guys.

It seems like most people just don't care around here. And I know exactly what you mean. Chinos and an old polo shirt pass as dressing up around here. J can just see guys walking down Stephen ave in that getup.

So are there two Brooks brothers opening? Because I thought there was one going in cross iron in Balzac as well?

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
Sorry just catching up worth. I'm from Calgary as well and work downtown. You would blend in more, however, I am surprised at the number of guys who still wear a golf shirt so old that the collar has turned in and up and khakis too short. Not a lot of menswear shops in this town either. At least for suits.

Hey you guys are from Calgary, that's so cool. I'm from Edmonton. Didn't realize you were getting a Brooks Brothers. I'll have to come down to visit soon.

As anyone from Alberta would know, it's very challenging being well-dressed in most work environments because the standard is so low. I've also experienced people asking why I'm so dressed up, although they got used to it after a couple of months. Now it's almost the opposite, someone runs into me when I've just thrown on jeans and a sweater to run to the convenience store and they ask why I'm dressed like a hobo! I'd certainly love it if people here could start dressing up a little bit more, but I don't see it happening any time soon (although it seems like younger guys are starting to get the idea, so things may begin to change in the next decade).

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
Nice to see some other Calgary fellows on here. Cheers guys.

It seems like most people just don't care around here. And I know exactly what you mean. Chinos and an old polo shirt pass as dressing up around here. J can just see guys walking down Stephen ave in that getup.

So are there two Brooks brothers opening? Because I thought there was one going in cross iron in Balzac as well?

I think that second Brooks Brothers will likely be their discount store. Balzac is opening a large outlet mall that's going to have liquidation stores from Holt Renfrew, (I've also heard Burberry) and other labels.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
I think that second Brooks Brothers will likely be their discount store. Balzac is opening a large outlet mall that's going to have liquidation stores from Holt Renfrew, (I've also heard Burberry) and other labels.
The first BB will be in the old Holt location. Should be by fall I think. I heard rumours that the Holt liquidation store wasn't going to happen, but I will look out for it.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
Hey you guys are from Calgary, that's so cool. I'm from Edmonton. Didn't realize you were getting a Brooks Brothers. I'll have to come down to visit soon.

As anyone from Alberta would know, it's very challenging being well-dressed in most work environments because the standard is so low. I've also experienced people asking why I'm so dressed up, although they got used to it after a couple of months. Now it's almost the opposite, someone runs into me when I've just thrown on jeans and a sweater to run to the convenience store and they ask why I'm dressed like a hobo! I'd certainly love it if people here could start dressing up a little bit more, but I don't see it happening any time soon (although it seems like younger guys are starting to get the idea, so things may begin to change in the next decade).

+1 younger people seem to get it.

worth

Reaction score
I was positive I saw a BB opening in 2010 sign when I was crusing around Balzac about 2 months ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads