• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overdressing for Work?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat

What advice do you have for odd people?

That's easy! Wear an odd jacket!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Bentley

Reaction score
Day 2

I wore a pair of black dress pants, a white shirt, and a black and light grey checked pattern sport coat to my other office today.

I got a couple of compliments on the look. My boss (a woman) smiled nicely and told me I looked very business-like. One of my other co-workers (a woman) told me I looked nice and we talked briefly about "dressing nice."

I tried not to talk about the change in dress too much. I just wanted to try and keep it low key and not call too much attention to it. However, the reaction from others was quite nice.

The only down side to today was that it was really hot today (32 degrees celsius) and my office does not have any air conditioning (old building and the wiring won't support it). Thus, I could only wear the jacket for awhile before it became unbearable.

Any suggestions on light weight summer sports jackets?

PS If you wear a sports jacket to the office, is there a rule about when to keep it on and when to take it off? Do you take it off while at your desk? Do you wear it to a meeting?

Honestly, it didn't make a lot of sense to keep the jacket on today given the heat of the office but I started this project so I wanted to wear it to at least our staff meeting today (which I did).

Vinnie Vegas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentley
Any suggestions on light weight summer sports jackets?
Linen and cotton jackets/blazers are good for the warm weather. Light colours like tan/off-white and navy are the traditional colours for these types of jackets. A thinner lining can help with the breathability of the jacket.

PS If you wear a sports jacket to the office, is there a rule about when to keep it on and when to take it off? Do you take it off while at your desk? Do you wear it to a meeting?

Honestly, it didn't make a lot of sense to keep the jacket on today given the heat of the office but I started this project so I wanted to wear it to at least our staff meeting today (which I did).

It depends on the office - At my office, many look at me strangely for ever wearing a tie without being forced to, so I usually take my jacket off and hang it up when I get in in the morning. Obviously, if it's cold, you might want to wear it for that reason, rather than convention. Personally though, I feel strange sitting at my computer and typing with a jacket on.

Putting it on for the meeting, but not at other times seems a reasonable judgement on your part.

OzDresser

Reaction score
Well...day one.

Anyhow, I did not get much of reaction from anyone. The only person who commented at all was one of my kids as I was on the way out the door this morning who asked why I was wearing a "suit." I took the opportunity to educate him about the difference between a suit and a blazer and then left.

I've been surprised how often even adults will mention my wearing a suit when I'm only wearing a sport coat and pants. I don't try and explain the difference anymore.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Day 2

Winter may be the right time to start this endeavor. Upgrading in the summer is tough. A good place to start is with the shoes and belt.

Also, nuthin wrong with wearing the jacket into the office and taking it off.

A silk sweater?

Bentley

Reaction score
Day 3

Wore a blazer, dress pants, and a sports shirt to the office today. I kept the jacket on for the morning during a meeting I had to begin the day. Took the jacket off for the afternoon as it was too hot.

Did not get any comments on anything one way or the other today. I think co-workers are getting used to my wearing a jacket or blazer.

The next step will be introducing a tie but I'm just going to go slow for now. I think I'll give it 2 or 3 more weeks with just the sports coat and blazer.

I won't keep posting every day as I think that it will get a bit repetitive. However, as events unfold I'll keep everyone updated. Again, the big moment will be when I introduce the tie.

(PS Bought a couple of new sports coats today to fill out the wardrobe. Nothing expensive but I took the advice of getting summer weight fabrics so I'm looking forward to getting started with these. One is a linen jacket and the other is wool but a very loose/coarse weave. Nothing expensive but I think they look pretty good)

Thanks again for everyone's support and ideas.

smile.gif

Bentley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I actually like the daily updates. Perhaps, keep a weekly log, and post the highlights at the end of the week? I like the details about other peoples' reactions. I want to know what happens with the tie stage.

Will do.

Thanks for the interest and the support. It's been an interesting project for me so far.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also enjoying the thread but it would be more interesting with photos.

worth

Reaction score
May work is 1/4 office and 3/4 manufacturing plant. I work in the office side, but I think because of the manufacturing side, it is perfectly acceptable to wear jeans and a hoody in the office because there are people walking around in coveralls often. There are basiaclly no dress guidelines. The norm is jeans.

I decided to change that one day. My boss wears dress pants and a shirt. That is as "dressed up" as it gets. So I started wearing dress pants and shirts. People took immediate notice. I would get comments like "Important meeting today?" or "Client coming in?".

At this point i've been dressing this way for a few months now. I added a tie into the mix occasionally. I'm wearing a tie once a week. First time, again, it was tough. Someone asked me if I was going to court. No one wears a tie, not even my boss, and here I am in one. I just went white shirt and black tie as to try to minimize the statement. If I had done some funky combination, it perhaps would ave exasterbated the situation.

Now I just tell people i'm going to wear one tie per week because I like to. People have accepted it and the more you do it, the more normal it becomes for you.

I don't think I could pull off a suit though. Not even a sport jacket. I've never seen anyone wear a suit in this office except maybe a client or two. But most of them are field type guys, so their staple is jeans.

Anyway, i'm far and away the best dressed in the whole building, (not that that is saying a ton since there's not much competition) and oter than the initial remarks from people, things have been positive.

I've even changed my casual dress up a bit when i'm out with friends and they have noticed too. nothing but compliments which is nice.

worth

Reaction score
I'm sure if people in Canada had to pick one "Hick" city, 90% of the population would pick Calgary. Alberta is known as the Texas of Canada, and we have the Calgary Stampede every year, so yes, Calgary is probably a bit of a Hick City. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary The main business here is Oil and Gas. Many of the blue collar guys around here are Rig Pigs or Roughnecks. So yeah, think Texas of Canada. If I worked in Downtown Calgary, i'd blend in with a suit. But since I work for a manufacturing company, our business is located in the industrial part of town, which has a lot more relaxed blue collar feel obviously. I'll add "Calgary" to my profile.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads