• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overdressing for Work?

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Could I get some advice?

I am about to start a year long placement at a European Investment Bank. The dress code as such is Business Casual (as I'm not in a client-facing position. In fact, I'll be in IT).

1) I'm just wondering, does one have to wear a sweater? And if they don't, does it look odd to wear just trousers and a shirt? (no tie as I'm positive that looks odd without a sweater)

It's just it is boiling right now and I am also strapped for cash, I can't really afford trousers + sweaters (already have shoes, shirts and a couple of ties).

2) In terms of woolens which are acceptable, are sweater-vests okay and are sweater-waistcoat thingies also okay?

3) Is having french cuffs with a sweater acceptable?

4) In terms of shirts, I have two white, one in cotton-linen (slightly translucent). I have one yellow in cotton-linen (slightly translucent). One with pink and white vertical stripes in cotton-linen (slightly transparent). Are any of these unacceptable?

Advice greatly appreciated as I need to work out what I have to buy and therefore how much to spend on each item!

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JammieDodger
Could I get some advice?

I am about to start a year long placement at a European Investment Bank. The dress code as such is Business Casual (as I'm not in a client-facing position. In fact, I'll be in IT).

1) I'm just wondering, does one have to wear a sweater? And if they don't, does it look odd to wear just trousers and a shirt? (no tie as I'm positive that looks odd without a sweater)

It's just it is boiling right now and I am also strapped for cash, I can't really afford trousers + sweaters (already have shoes, shirts and a couple of ties).

2) In terms of woolens which are acceptable, are sweater-vests okay and are sweater-waistcoat thingies also okay?

4) In terms of shirts, I have two white, one in cotton-linen (slightly translucent). I have one yellow in cotton-linen (slightly translucent). One with pink and white vertical stripes in cotton-linen (slightly transparent). Are any of these unacceptable?

Advice greatly appreciated as I need to work out what I have to buy and therefore how much to spend on each item!

I don't understand the need for a sweater?

As for the tie+shirt+pants combination I don't know why you say it'll look weird. Singapore is admittedly not a paragon of style but I've seen very well-dressed men pull it off very well.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Not sure that Gordon Gekko is considered over-dressed given his job but I agree with everything else.

Obviously Gekko isn't overdressed for *his* job and position, but for a newbie investment banker analyst to dress like Gekko (instead of a more conservative suit, shirt and tie) could be asking for trouble--especially if the skill set isn't there.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Could I get some advice?

Why would you wear a sweater if it is hot? That would certainly look strange. I would also forget about "translucent" shirts--they don't sound very business like. Linen shirts in general are not standard business attire.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBugatti
Why would you wear a sweater if it is hot? That would certainly look strange. I would also forget about "translucent" shirts--they don't sound very business like. Linen shirts in general are not standard business attire.

Glad about the sweaters, thought they were standard for some reason.

Disappointed about the shirts, they're a Loro Piana Cotton-Linen blend, I'm not really sure how translucent they are, will use my own judgement. Pity as not really sure I can afford any more shirts (had them made when I had money, now can barely afford trousers).

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheButler
I have to second this. Tie without a jacket always seemed very used-car-salesman-esque to me. I'd do SC without a tie before I did tie without a SC.

My solution is a sweater, sweater vest, or vest. Looks great and can be dressed down or up.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could I get some advice?

Yes, I do this all the time. In fact, I kind of like the line it creates. A compromise for you is a sweater vest (no sleeves) so there is no interaction between the sweater and the cuff.

Also, a thin sweater looks much better with a shirt underneath.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Thanks!

Ooh, lastly, what colours are best if you can only buy two sweaters? I was thinking maybe navy and a burgundy? The problem with navy is one ends up looking like a school child (a popular colour for school uniforms here in the UK), possibly rectified with a deeper V and a nice tie, or a vest.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks!

Ooh, lastly, what colours are best if you can only buy two sweaters? I was thinking maybe navy and a burgundy? The problem with navy is one ends up looking like a school child (a popular colour for school uniforms here in the UK), possibly rectified with a deeper V and a nice tie, or a vest.

Navy blue and gray

Bentley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Navy blue and gray

+1 for navy blue and grey. I know what you're saying about the school child look being associated with navy blue but I'm still ok with it...to me it can also conjure up images of universities such as Oxford or Cambridge which I think is cool.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Not sure that Gordon Gekko is considered over-dressed given his job but I agree with everything else.

Originally Posted by EBugatti
Obviously Gekko isn't overdressed for *his* job and position, but for a newbie investment banker analyst to dress like Gekko (instead of a more conservative suit, shirt and tie) could be asking for trouble--especially if the skill set isn't there.

I think dressing like Gekko should be saved for positions where no-one is in a position to fire you, or you're expected to manage aggressively. I find dressing in an FU manner to be appropriate in positions where you need to be authoritative, it's a helpful boost to your demeanor in those situations.

In positions where you are the subordinate and only the subordinate it's definitely going to do more harm then good.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
You have to dress as you wish to and you cannot let others dictate that. You yourself haev to enjoy and feel comfortable in what you are wearing weither that is a tie or blazer in addition to your normal getup. Perhaps you may be better dressed them most of your coworkers but that should only inspire them to dress better rather then shun you for uping your apperance.

After much pondering, I've come to the conclusion that bowtielover is just a very, very clever troll.

Bentley

Reaction score
Well...day one.

I took the advice offered by some other members here and came to work with dress pants, a sport shirt, and a blazer. Did not wear a tie...I'll work my way up to that.

Anyhow, I did not get much of reaction from anyone. The only person who commented at all was one of my kids as I was on the way out the door this morning who asked why I was wearing a "suit." I took the opportunity to educate him about the difference between a suit and a blazer and then left.

Once I got to work, no one said anything. They did not even appear to notice.

I noticed, though, that my blazer probably needs to be dry cleaned and does not fit very well. It's not filthy or shabby...it's just been sitting in the closet for a long time and is a bit too big.

Anyhow, tomorrow is another day. I will be working out of a different office where I will likely get some more comments...we'll see.

Thanks again for all the greaty advice so far.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentley
Well...day one.

I took the advice offered by some other members here and came to work with dress pants, a sport shirt, and a blazer. Did not wear a tie...I'll work my way up to that.

Anyhow, I did not get much of reaction from anyone. The only person who commented at all was one of my kids as I was on the way out the door this morning who asked why I was wearing a "suit." I took the opportunity to educate him about the difference between a suit and a blazer and then left.

Once I got to work, no one said anything. They did not even appear to notice.

I noticed, though, that my blazer probably needs to be dry cleaned and does not fit very well. It's not filthy or shabby...it's just been sitting in the closet for a long time and is a bit too big.

Anyhow, tomorrow is another day. I will be working out of a different office where I will likely get some more comments...we'll see.

Thanks again for all the greaty advice so far.

Thats exactly the reaction you wanted... none. It means you were slow enough.

My advice would be to keep it at this level for 2 more days before adding something new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads