• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overdressing for Work?

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I agree with go gradual.

1) Wear a tie once in a while
2) Toss on a blazer once in a while.
3) Blazer + tie....

just like sex. the longer the foreplay, the more fulfilling the payoff.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a number of years, I have certainly outdressed all my male co-workers, including individuals higher on the totem pole than I. I've never felt any particular repercussions. It's pretty immaterial to me now since I am planning to retire in the immediate future.

Today's attire is fairly typical: Chan sport coat, Canali tie, A-E Colton bluchers in chestnut. The shirt and wool slacks, both emanating from Costco, are undistinguished, however.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a way to look at it:

If everyone there is dressed casually, there has to be someone there who is the best dressed (and also, the worst). You could always be that best dressed guy. Everyone wearing pants and a button down shirt? Wear a tie. Everyone wearing ties? Wear a blazer.

Another example would be in my place of work our dress code says that we must wear either a tie, vest, cardigan, or blazer (one of the options). When I wear a vest, I still put on a tie with it, even though I don't have to. Same thing goes with a blazer and a cardigan.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I've found this to be true as well. I started wearing sport coats and the occasional suit to work and at first I would get some comments from my peers but shortly after they didn't even think twice about seeing me in a suit. I've been told that I'm the "stylish guy" at the office and people think I'm a lot older than I actually am (a good thing) for it.
I'm always the best dressed at any office I work at. I'm a consultant so I go to many different locations. On my first day at a new place I go in hard and then tone it down as needed... first impressions. I find that this approach causes people to back off of you. Consultants are often viewed with derision by the staff. If you come in hard they immediately back off and give you some space. This makes a huge difference long term. 2 caveats:
  • You better perform. Nothing will get you fired quicker than being a well dressed tool. If you know you are a tool, dress like ****, it engenders sympathy.
  • My approach wont work for you, bring it on slow because these are people you already know. Nobody will notice if you do. You'll eventually start getting compliments, but you look weak if you bring it on too fast and are perceived as trying to take on a new image. New image = insta-douche.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I don't understand why people always feel the need to roll their sleeves up at work (even office jobs), or worse, just unbutton them and yank them halfway up their forearms. Is it that uncomfortable?

I do this all the time and don't see a problem with it. If I'm not wearing a tie, what does it matter. For whatever reason, long sleeves tend to bother me. I think it's something that started in Catholic school and just stuck with me.

Originally Posted by Reevolving
I agree with go gradual.

1) Wear a tie once in a while
2) Toss on a blazer once in a while.
3) Blazer + tie....

Probably no need to ever get to a suit...

+1 on going gradual.

However, you may want to start with a jacket or blazer and then move towards a tie. A tie without a jacket seems a little off to me. A little Dilbert/Office Space-esque, if you will. Honestly, I doubt people would even notice a sport coat or jacket. Once you bring the tie into play is where you will have to test the waters.

TheButler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
A tie without a jacket seems a little off to me. A little Dilbert/Office Space-esque, if you will.
I have to second this. Tie without a jacket always seemed very used-car-salesman-esque to me. I'd do SC without a tie before I did tie without a SC.

Todd6060

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I don't understand why people always feel the need to roll their sleeves up at work (even office jobs), or worse, just unbutton them and yank them halfway up their forearms. Is it that uncomfortable?

I roll up my sleeves when I get too warm. When I've cooled off, I put them back down and button them.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheButler
I have to second this. Tie without a jacket always seemed very used-car-salesman-esque to me. I'd do SC without a tie before I did tie without a SC.
Same here. I don't leave home wearing a tie without a jacket. Jacket without a tie? Sure, I do this on occasion.

gavinchi

Reaction score
Some of the best advice I've heard on this topic came in the form of a warning: "dress how you wish, but be sure you aren't replacing substance with style."

Like idfnl said: "you better perform."

Bentley

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice about how to approach this question. I like the ideas around gradually phasing in a dressier look to my apparel.

I'm going to start implementing this plan. I'll keep you posted on how it goes and comments I get.

bigstar[1].gif

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
You better perform. Nothing will get you fired quicker than being a well dressed tool. If you know you are a tool, dress like ****, it engenders sympathy.
+1000 Absolutely spot on. I recall in my early days on Wall St there were the couple tools that dressed like Gordon Gekko but didn't know a spreadsheet from a bed sheet. Needless to say, they weren't around long and were frequent objects of ridicule... if you decide you want to stand out--and dressing better than the norm will easily do this--people will notice everything about you, including your performance, especially at work.

non boring

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl

• You better perform. Nothing will get you fired quicker than being a well dressed tool.

completely agree. i work in a casual environment and with 90% females. the hardest part to get over at first was ridicule. since my performance overshadows my style, it doesn't even matter anymore. i've only worn a suit once in the winter, but causally.

the only other guys that tuck in their shirts seem to be IT, the non-star wars enthusiasts IT guys.

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBugatti
+1000 Absolutely spot on. I recall in my early days on Wall St there were the couple tools that dressed like Gordon Gekko but didn't know a spreadsheet from a bed sheet. Needless to say, they weren't around long and were frequent objects of ridicule... if you decide you want to stand out--and dressing better than the norm will easily do this--people will notice everything about you, including your performance, especially at work.

Not sure that Gordon Gekko is considered over-dressed given his job but I agree with everything else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics