• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overdressing for Work?

Bentley

Reaction score
I work as a therapist at a mental health clinic. The dress code where I work is essentially business casual. I usually wear either dress pants and a sport shirt with no tie nor blazer or chinos with a casual button shirt or polo shirt. This seems to be fine.

I'd like to dress up a little more with perhaps a tie and/or a sport coat but I worry I'd be overdressed?

What do others think and have others had similar experiences?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You're probably fine getting away with the sport coat and tie. Just don't start wearing suits if it's a business casual environment. People will think you're odd.

Out of curiosity, what is the average age of staff at the clinic? If it's a fairly young crowd, then overdressing will stand out even more.

Bentley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
You're probably fine getting away with the sport coat and tie. Just don't start wearing suits if it's a business casual environment. People will think you're odd.

Out of curiosity, what is the average age of staff at the clinic? If it's a fairly young crowd, then overdressing will stand out even more.

The age of the staff is quite a mixture. The youngest person is probably in her late 20's; the oldest would be about 50.

For what it's worth, the staff are mostly female. There is only me and one other male there.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Then you're fine. Rock it out. Just don't go overboard (suit).

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
People will think you're odd.

What advice do you have for odd people?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't dress better than the boss.

I wear more expensive clothes than my bosses do, however, they wear suits and sport jackets, which I never do.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
What advice do you have for odd people?

They're already on SF, so any advice I can give them would be redundant.

inlandisland

Reaction score
I'm in this position too - not the same job, but similar work/dress environment... What has been said above is true. Resist desires to wear a suit as you'll get comments like "going to a wedding?"

If it's not a very hierarchical place in terms of dress you should be fine with a jacket and tie though - if poeple think you're too dressed up at first, give it a week and everyone will treat it as though you'ev always dressed that way, at least that's what I've found.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inlandisland
I'm in this position too - not the same job, but similar work/dress environment... What has been said above is true. Resist desires to wear a suit as you'll get comments like "going to a wedding?"

If it's not a very hierarchical place in terms of dress you should be fine with a jacket and tie though - if poeple think you're too dressed up at first, give it a week and everyone will treat it as though you'ev always dressed that way, at least that's what I've found.

I've found this to be true as well. I started wearing sport coats and the occasional suit to work and at first I would get some comments from my peers but shortly after they didn't even think twice about seeing me in a suit. I've been told that I'm the "stylish guy" at the office and people think I'm a lot older than I actually am (a good thing) for it.

foggy

Reaction score
This is your life. Try and dress how you want to live, because thats what your doing.

donCarlos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Don't dress better than the boss.
For example, I´d love to, but it´s damn hard when my boss usually wears something like sweatsuit...

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all depends on your boss as well. If you've got a really good relationship with him and your co-workers then it shouldn't matter. Dress how you want to. If dressing the way you want makes you more confident and happy then you should strive to dress in the style which makes you feel good. It's all about making everything a joy I think. If you can't even enjoy getting dressed in the morning - that's a bad thing.

I'd agree with what has been said in the past. Start off slow and work your way up. Soon they won't realise you ever dressed any differently in the past. I'm now at the stage where I can *just about* get away with a pocket square. Six months ago I would have got a comment on wearing a "formal shirt"....

You have to make the call about if dressing more formal than everyone else is having a negative effect or not...

jblazing

Reaction score
I think a sportcoat is fine, as is nicer quality clothes, but don't be the only person to wear a tie. That looks odd.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Allenn
Clothes should enhance and not inhibit. Your clothes should make you look and feel good, and your personal style should not be compromised. So be in the dress in which u feel comfortable. plus size dresses
Epic spam. What the spammer has done here is really quite brilliant, folks. From the first sentence onward, his post seems like advice in context of the thread. Then, just when we least expect it, he hits us with the rhetorical punchline in the form of a link to "Plus Size Dresses." The sly, winking nonsequitur of the items being offered for sale highlights the absurdity of the thread, as if to suggest that we are all slaves to modern life and its infinitely compounded series of little requirements and rituals. This is a masterpiece.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads