• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoats

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey dudes.

So I need to buy some sort of coat since it is getting cold here. What is a commonly accepted option for wearing over a shirt and tie in the mornings? I am thinking just a long coat made of wool, or maybe something double-breasted. This is my first winter working so I do not really know.

The more important question is, where should I go to buy a coat for a good value? I went to Bloomingdale's and all I saw was Brioni for like $1400. I do not want to spend too much, I'm thinking no more than $400 if I even have to go that high. QUality does not matter to me as much as a nice cut. Any tips are welcome, and since I live in NYC most stores are available to me. Thanks.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this price and since you're in NYC, you should stop by a Charles Tyrwhitt store and try one of their covert coats (I have this own below). The cut is nice and reasonably fitted. With a good coupon, this certainly qualifies as "good value".
XCCBRN_1.jpg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Glad to see your post, gdl. I've been interested in the Tyrwhitt covert coat, and yours is the first review of it I've seen.

It is not too bad actually. The problem is that I (probably like the rest of us) have been so spoiled with occasional mega-bargains that it is difficult to find value in mid-level quality items like this... For example, I bought this wool and cashmere Gianluca Isaia overcoat from STP six months ago for $370 shipped. It is very obvious when one handles it next to the CT coat that there are significant differences - fabric quality, construction (virtually no shoulder padding on the Isaia), styling (look at that roped shoulder on the Isaia), handwork (handmade lapel buttonhole on the Isaia)...

One cannot always wait for a bargain to show up so I'd say that for $300 or below, the CT covert coat is a decent buy - I will certainly use it through the fall/winter but I don't think I will ever feel excited (or proud) about it. (not sure if any of this makes sense...)

F_48405_1.jpg

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A search for discount codes for ctshirts doesnt yield anything. Is there a way to get that $370 price tag down further?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try some of the discounters such as C21, Daffy's, Loehmann's and FB.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
A search for discount codes for ctshirts doesnt yield anything. Is there a way to get that $370 price tag down further?

Don't you want to go check out the coat first?

BigHandMan

Reaction score
GDL - for people not in NY and unable to try on the covert coat in person, perhaps you can inform us re: sizing? (i.e. what size CT coat did you purchase and what size suit do you usually wear, etc.)? Would be helpful. Thanks.

MetroStyles - try www.ctshirts.com/pine for 50% off. Should still work.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great tips so far. Much appreciated, guys.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Don't you want to go check out the coat first?

Oh of course I will go the store, but I won't buy it there.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Oh of course I will go the store, but I won't buy it there.

That's the way to go

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigHandMan
GDL - for people not in NY and unable to try on the covert coat in person, perhaps you can inform us re: sizing? (i.e. what size CT coat did you purchase and what size suit do you usually wear, etc.)? Would be helpful. Thanks.

I got the same size as my suit size (42"). in my experience, coats are always sized with some extra room built in for a jacket. Disclaimer: I like my coats to fit snuggly.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy what you need, but if you could wait until after Thanksgiving, to make a really good investment, you're better off. Better yet, wait until January. You will have sales galore, from which to make your choices. I'm not sure what your size is, but in NYC you should have many, many opportunities. Some of my most appreciated purchases, were made at 75% off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads