Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Overcoats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MetroStyles, Sep 26, 2006.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Hey dudes.

So I need to buy some sort of coat since it is getting cold here. What is a commonly accepted option for wearing over a shirt and tie in the mornings? I am thinking just a long coat made of wool, or maybe something double-breasted. This is my first winter working so I do not really know.

The more important question is, where should I go to buy a coat for a good value? I went to Bloomingdale's and all I saw was Brioni for like $1400. I do not want to spend too much, I'm thinking no more than $400 if I even have to go that high. QUality does not matter to me as much as a nice cut. Any tips are welcome, and since I live in NYC most stores are available to me. Thanks.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

At this price and since you're in NYC, you should stop by a Charles Tyrwhitt store and try one of their covert coats (I have this own below). The cut is nice and reasonably fitted. With a good coupon, this certainly qualifies as "good value".
    [​IMG]

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Glad to see your post, gdl. I've been interested in the Tyrwhitt covert coat, and yours is the first review of it I've seen.

4. gdl203

Glad to see your post, gdl. I've been interested in the Tyrwhitt covert coat, and yours is the first review of it I've seen.

It is not too bad actually. The problem is that I (probably like the rest of us) have been so spoiled with occasional mega-bargains that it is difficult to find value in mid-level quality items like this... For example, I bought this wool and cashmere Gianluca Isaia overcoat from STP six months ago for $370 shipped. It is very obvious when one handles it next to the CT coat that there are significant differences - fabric quality, construction (virtually no shoulder padding on the Isaia), styling (look at that roped shoulder on the Isaia), handwork (handmade lapel buttonhole on the Isaia)...

One cannot always wait for a bargain to show up so I'd say that for $300 or below, the CT covert coat is a decent buy - I will certainly use it through the fall/winter but I don't think I will ever feel excited (or proud) about it. (not sure if any of this makes sense...)

[​IMG]

5. MetroStyles

A search for discount codes for ctshirts doesnt yield anything. Is there a way to get that $370 price tag down further?

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Try some of the discounters such as C21, Daffy's, Loehmann's and FB.

7. gdl203

A search for discount codes for ctshirts doesnt yield anything. Is there a way to get that $370 price tag down further?

Don't you want to go check out the coat first?

8. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/pine

50% off.

9. BigHandMan

BigHandMan Senior member

GDL - for people not in NY and unable to try on the covert coat in person, perhaps you can inform us re: sizing? (i.e. what size CT coat did you purchase and what size suit do you usually wear, etc.)? Would be helpful. Thanks.

MetroStyles - try www.ctshirts.com/pine for 50% off. Should still work.

10. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I prefer raglan shoulder coats in a full cut. It can be worn for business as well as casual settings. Great when you have to travel with only one coat.

11. MetroStyles

Great tips so far. Much appreciated, guys.

12. MetroStyles

Don't you want to go check out the coat first?

Oh of course I will go the store, but I won't buy it there.

13. gdl203

Oh of course I will go the store, but I won't buy it there.

That's the way to go

14. gdl203

GDL - for people not in NY and unable to try on the covert coat in person, perhaps you can inform us re: sizing? (i.e. what size CT coat did you purchase and what size suit do you usually wear, etc.)? Would be helpful. Thanks.

I got the same size as my suit size (42"). in my experience, coats are always sized with some extra room built in for a jacket. Disclaimer: I like my coats to fit snuggly.

15. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Buy what you need, but if you could wait until after Thanksgiving, to make a really good investment, you're better off. Better yet, wait until January. You will have sales galore, from which to make your choices. I'm not sure what your size is, but in NYC you should have many, many opportunities. Some of my most appreciated purchases, were made at 75% off.