• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Overcoats/Topcoats

nastyandy

Reaction score
Curious, is it essential that an overcoat worn over a suit extend past the knee? I am short, just shy of 5'5", and I always feel ridiculous in long coats. I have a cashmere/wool blend coat that comes down to a couple of inches above my knee, and fits well in the shoulder with a suit (something that I have had difficulty finding.) I work in a conservative business and I wonder if this represents some kind of faux-pas? Thanks in advance for any insight or opinions.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flusser in Clothes and the Man, something from the 1980s, not the 1890s, suggests that an overcoat ought to extend past the knee so as not to leave the wearer looking boxy. For shorter men, he suggests going just past the knee but no further.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer below the knee but have a coat or two that are at or slightly above the knee. When it's very cold, windy, or wet, below the knee provides great protection.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, classically length is all about warmth. The longer the coat, the warmer it runs. Shorter coats are therefore for spring and autumn use, so that the wearer can still looked dressed without overheating.

Below knee great coats are more for sporting and military use. It really gives it a utility wear look. That's why Chesterfields, the dressiest of all modern dress overcoats in standard use, is a top coat and is usually around knee length or a tad shorter.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.8%
  • 31 - 40