• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Overcoats questions - color / fabric

ezwicky

Reaction score
Hi all,

Assuming I have only one suit, and it's in navy, would a navy woolen overcoat be too similar? Or is that considered a classic pairing? Or would charcoal be better with a navy suit underneath?

Another question: If I get another overcoat later, to go over a thick cardigan or other wool sweater, a brown corduroy sports jacket, a brown woolen houndstooth sports jacket, a Harris Tweed sports jacket, or similar jackets, (with jeans or cords or heavier woolen trousers) could you recommmend a pattern / color that would complement them?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Zwicky
Richond VA

Last edited:

johng70

Reaction score
I don't see a reason to have 2 separate winter overcoats when neither is formal. A charcoal overcoat would work for everything you have listed above. Avoid patterns initially. If you were wearing suits daily, there's a potential for having multiple overcoats for style purposes - tweed patterns for Early spring or Fall vs standard dark for Winter. But, there's no need to coordinate overcoat color/pattern with jacket underneath - If you have the overcoat on, it covers the jacket

I will say I do have a peacoat for winter when I'm wearing more casual dress as a full length wool overcoat looks a bit odd with jeans and a t-shirt.

The biggest advice is - make sure the overcoat is warm enough for your winters. Lots of coats from the mall brands are actually pretty thin. Not a problem in mild winters - but if it's actually cold where you come from it's problematic.

radio3

Reaction score
in my opinion a Camel coat can go pretty well with casual clothes such as blue or black jeans and of course it goes well with navy suits as well.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 49 16.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 105 34.8%
  • 8”

Votes: 91 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.3%