• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoat

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a Canalli, double breasted, peak lapel, wool, overcoat. The coat's length is a little under full length. Origionally, I was shopping for a 3/4 length coat, but the slim fit and peak lapels of the Canalli were too much of a persuasion (not to mention the low price I got on it). I'm wondering how much, if any of the length can be taken up. Right now the coat falls slightly below the knee. My desire is to get it 3/4 length, but I realize that not too much can be taken off without it looking awkward. What do you guys think, have you ever heard of this being done?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From a tailoring point, it's no problem to shorten an overcoat. As long as the waist is in the right place, the skirt can end above the knee or go right down to your ankles.

Whether it is right stylistically, to shorten the coat is a question I cannot answer without having seen the coat; but I have serious doubts. Double breasted is the most formal style for an overcoat, a "car coat" is a rather casual affair. I do not think style and preferred length go together all that well. But after all, it's your coat and you have to like it. Just don't be too hasty; You can have it shortened at some later date, but it can't be restored to it's original length. Why don't you wear it for a while and see how you get on with the length?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads