1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Overcoat value

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Frank123, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Frank123

Frank123 Member

Department stores Filenes and Macy's are having 50% off sales on overcoats Ralph Lauren, Claiborne and others. Since this would be a long term purchase. I would think I would be better off getting the Brookstorm, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a better deal there. I honestly can't look at a garment and understand the quality. I would wait for a sale at Brooks and use a gift card I bought $400 for 500 value.

What is the most versatile color?

2. j

j Senior member Admin

Are you talking about a raincoat, or something more warm and woolen?

I'd say the most versatile color for a non-raincoat overcoat would be charcoal, as it doesn't clash with anything the way navy might (although most people don't seem to worry about the color coordination). Black is apparently considered low-class or to look cheap, according to some (Malloy). Camel is also very versatile.

For a raincoat, (ironically, being from Seattle) I have no input. I've never even considered buying one. If I did, it would probably be in a medium gray.

3. Frank123

Frank123 Member

My question was on overcoat, but I probably shoud get a raincoat sometime.

4. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I have a black Brookstorm. I wish I had purchased navy.

5. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

I have a Navy Brookstorm overcoat, and it is great. I have worn it in during some of Michigan's worst winter weather, and the moisture literally bounces off the coat. My only complaint--and I have myself to blame for this--is that it is a bit tight (for me, at least) in the shoulders when I am sitting down--driving. When standing, the coat fits perfectly. I recommend that you find a chair and sit to see if there is enough room at the top.