• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoat Suggestion

chip19

Reaction score
I read a little bit on this forum and others, and I try to keep relatively currently with fashion do's and don't's. However, my knowledge is porous when it comes to winter attire, specifically what to wear over a suit (an overcoat).

I'm going to graduate college this May, and already have a job in NYC secured. I will have to wear a suit with jacket every day. Through my previous internships, I have accumulated a wardrobe of fairly conservative navy and charcoal suits, but I also have one (albeit still relatively conservative compared to what I've seen some folks wear) interesting brownish earth tone pattern suit that almost shines in the right light. Bottom line: conservative stuff.

I have two pairs of shoes, black leather lace-ups and oxblood leather lace-ups. I prefer the oxblood but go with the black with my one lighter suit and for certain occasions (if I'm expecting a formal lunch meeting or something). Again, nothing out of the ordinary. Conservative.

My question is... where do I start with overcoats? I have not seen any definitive rules on the coloring. What is it supposed to match: Shoes, suit, nothing? As far as style, I'd like something that is tailored to fit over my jacket snugly so I'm not swimming in fabric, something with a slim fit. What I am looking for is something that will go well with all of my conservative suits and preferably with both pairs of shoes... something I can wear Monday-Friday in the winter and that will last me for many years.

I am open to any and all suggestions, especially on brands and colors. Money is not a huge concern, since I am willing to shell out quite a bit since I see this as a one-time-last-forever kind of purchase. It's the one part of my wardrobe that will consistently get a ton of use. That said, I'm not rich so let's keep it under $1200 if possible.

Thanks infinitely in advance!

Doc4

Reaction score
I would suggest, at a minimum, two coats: one to wear in warmer weather when it's raining, and one for the cold of winter.

For the first, a trenchcoat is a classic staple, either in traditional British Kahki, or a darker shade of taupe or some such thing.

For the second ... http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...-overcoat.html

chip19

Reaction score
I definitely like the camel hair and feel like it would go with pretty much everything. Thanks for the suggestion I think I'll have a look around some of my usual stores for a coat like that.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I already own a black, charcoal, and blue/brown check overcoat along with a navy DB Trench and a dark tan bordering on brown (light taupe?) DB trench.

I DEFINITELY need a camel colored overcoat to complete the collection. Kinda surprised I don't have one yet. They always look great!

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charcoal will be the most versatile while being less conspicuous than camel color which is nice but loud.

Especially in your case, fresh from school and just starting out at a position.

chip19

Reaction score
Yeah, I might hold off on the camel... feel out the atmosphere and see what everyone else wears before I make any fashion statements, haha. Thanks for the advice.

scottlit

Reaction score
Actually, I have a follow-up question to throw into the mix here. I was looking at Brooks Brothers full-length BrookStorm overcoats today, and they had one in my size in both black and navy.

I felt like I preferred the black more than the navy, but I'm wondering which one will be more versatile. I generally wear navy blue and grey suits, and never earth tone suits. I have a couple of blue suits that are a bit lighter blue as well. Anyway, my question for everyone is can I really go wrong with a black overcoat? Would I be better served with the navy blue one? Or given what I would be wearing it with should I just go with the one I like better? Also, has anybody ever seen these coats go on sale at 50% off? They're running 25% off right now, but I'm wondering if I should try to hold out for a better discount.

Also, has anybody ever managed to negotiate a better discount than the basic sale price at Brooks Brothers?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads