Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

overcoat replacement economics

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cpac, Jun 8, 2005.

1. cpac

cpac Senior member

Hello all. I have an overcoat, given to me by my parents 10 years ago, that I love. Unfortunately it has become rather worn (starting to get threadbare at the cuffs especially), and so will need to be replaced in the next season or two.

Now, I know it was purchased from Nordstroms in an extra-long size, that it's a nice felted wool/cashmere blend, and that it probably ran about $500-$700 new, and that replacing it today OTR would probably cost about that same amount.

Now, since I have a coat where the sizing and cut are already to my liking, I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting one of the various tailors in NYC to copy the coat for me, rather than buying a new one OTR.

Anybody know? (For what it's worth, I'd take a lot of fabric as I'm a 44-45" chest and 6'5" tall)

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Getting one bespoke is going to cost WAY more than $5-700. Three grand at least. Maybe not if you use one of the cheapter tailors, but still -- more than $700.

3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I have a Chan overcoat that cost about that much. It was very much worth the price as the shapeless blobs masquerading as RTW overcoats these days look horrible.

dan

4. cpac

cpac Senior member

I wasn't thinking full bespoke - no need for fittings or any of the rest of it - just straight copying of an existing coat.

Thinking of taking it to Mr. Ned, or even somplace like HongKongCustomTailor, just picking a fabric, and leaving the coat and asking them to copy it.

Is it really likely to be over a grand or so for that?

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Don't know. Haven't used those guys. Seriously, if you're paying for bespoke, why skip the fitting? I doubt they would charge you less. Maybe they would. I suppose it's worth asking.

Any of the bench tailors in NY are going to charge at least $3K for an overcoat.

6. Matt

Matt [email protected]

why not ship it off to Chan or Jantzen or even Ravi. Theyd copy it well within budget Id think.

Include your own cloth if you concerned about that...

7. cpac

cpac Senior member

that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out - would that be a better option (i.e. less expensive for similar quality) than simply buying another coat OTR?

8. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Most of the overseas shops post their CMT prices, so whether it would be less expensive than RTW depends on how cheap you can acquire the fabric.

dan

9. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

MTM works fine for overcoats but only the Hong Kong boys are likely to be around $700.