• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoat questions

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new overcoat to replace my current one, which is several sizes too large.  (I bought it several years ago when I was under the misimpression that an overcoat should be purchased in a larger size than one's suit size.)  How low should the overcoat fall?  Just past the knee or mid-calf, or depending on whether you are wearing it over a suit or a tux?  And what is your recommendation for the most versatile combination of color, design, and length that can be worn equally well over a sportscoat, suit, or tux?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found length to be a matter of preference. As far as styling, I think that countries play a roll in this as well, American's Preferring longer and Europeans shorter.

I sell more navy as a matter of preference, however I personally like a deep charcoal for versatility.

JJF

Edit: For clarification on length. Length Below knee or mid calf is a preference issue of what can still be qualified as a full length coat. Once you go above knee you are no longer dealing with full length but with 3/4 length.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about this-reversible raglan black cashmere and tan cotton Loro Piana topcoat? On Ebay from reputable seller. Can wear with anything IMO, from jeans to tux (maybe). Certainly with business suit or sports jacket. I'd choose a length below the knee for a suit. These don't need a really precise size-they're loose at the shoulder. http://<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/......42&rd=1</a>

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A-C, why not just get your current coat taken in? I had that done with a coat that I used to feel like I was swimming in; after getting it taken in, it's as if I'm wearing a different coat now.

I much prefer overcoats cut at least to the knees; even better if they're 2 or 3 inches below. I suppose really long coats though can make some men look shorter.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That Loro Piana looks like a robe to me in the picture with the dark side out, maybe that is because you can't see the buttons, or because of the cut.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Loro Piana looks like a robe to me in the picture with the dark side out, maybe that is because you can't see the buttons, or because of the cut.
So that we are clear here the coat is NOT a Loro Piana cashmere Coat but is a Coat from Normandy and Monroe that uses a LP Fabric and storm coat system and is only 80% Wool 20% Cashmere. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming... JJF

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brioni has a ragland overcoat with 100% cashmere reversible to 100% silk that is below the knee on anyone unless they're over 6'6&quot;. Even the belt is reversible. I have one in black and one in dark brown, and find them to be both formal and informal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics