• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Overcoat question

louky

Reaction score
The Hickey site is having a big sale @ the moment. Their overcoats are now in the $400 range. Wondering if anybody has seen or worn these. In particular, I'm trying to determine if these are more Banana Republic, J. Crew quality or more Hickey Freeman, Italian Polo quality. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

entropy_00

Reaction score
I have a Hickey coat that I love...a bit slim fitting, but very stylish. IMO, better than J Crew/Banana Republic..but not as high end as Hickey Freeman. At $400, definitey recommended. In fact, I purchased another one this weekend --

BTW..check out the Hickey Freeman site as well --

bob digital

Reaction score
I have one that I got in that price range a while ago. Have only worn it once, but I really like it. Obviously they are overpriced at retail, but at around $400ish I think they represent a good value. I think the quality is better than JCrew or Banana, but I have never owned those - only tried on.

Also, be warned - the fit on these are extremely slim. I am a pretty standard 38R in pretty much every brand. I got a 38 and it is tight. I like a slimmer look but this coat is definitely pushing the line between slim and tight when worn over a suit. With a sweater and a blazer it definitely starts to pull. I may let it out an inch or so.

louky

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Can either of you comment on the shoulders on the overcoats, i.e. soft v. structured?

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob digital
I have one that I got in that price range a while ago. Have only worn it once, but I really like it. Obviously they are overpriced at retail, but at around $400ish I think they represent a good value. I think the quality is better than JCrew or Banana, but I have never owned those - only tried on.

Also, be warned - the fit on these are extremely slim. I am a pretty standard 38R in pretty much every brand. I got a 38 and it is tight. I like a slimmer look but this coat is definitely pushing the line between slim and tight when worn over a suit. With a sweater and a blazer it definitely starts to pull. I may let it out an inch or so.

Agreed on the slim fit.

$418 is a great deal for the Hickey overcoats. Not sure about the padding on the overcoat but the peacoat has soft shoulders.

bob digital

Reaction score
Originally Posted by louky
Thanks for the responses. Can either of you comment on the shoulders on the overcoats, i.e. soft v. structured?

I think its a pretty soft shoulder. There is some padding (as with all overcoats I've ever tried on) but the overall look is natural - which fits in with the more modern look the coat seems to be going for (slim with peak lapels). There is no roping if that's an issue.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40