• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoat on a budget?

DP83

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any help - I'm looking for a classic overcoat (i.e., just plain looking dark grey or navy). I tend to skew conservative with dress - black allen edmonds cap-toe, boring color suitsupply napoli, white shirts from proper cloth, and navy ties from brooks brothers. All picks from the great advice I've received over the years here on the forums - but I've never purchased an overcoat (and, frankly, I'm cold).

I'd like to keep it at $500 or below cost-wise, and I tend to not like trendy nor skinny lapels on anything!

Thanks again for any help.

Signed,
Chilly in Boston

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where are you located?
How cold does it get?
How long -- above the knee or below the knee?

Spier and Mackay had some really nice overcoats for F/W but there are only a few sizes left. Plus they run a bit short for my taste but YMMV.

mitsein

Reaction score
Might be too late but... check out Hancock VA. Their Melton Wool is 680gsm, which is fairly heavy overcoat...

DP83

Reaction score
Thanks - but not a big fan of those collars...

svf

Reaction score
@once a day What would you say is a good temp range for the Harris Wharf coats? I like the style of the pressed wool overcoats, but am wondering if I can get away with an unlined coat in Rochester. Temps won't often go too much below 10-20°F (so -12 to -5°C) and I have gloves, scarf and hat. I don't need to be outside for long periods of time, so a full Loden isn't necessary, but I do want something that stops the wind and has some weight.

MarkWinter

Reaction score
You might want to check our selection too...We have some particularly nice overcoats from Belvest in your price range.

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@once a day What would you say is a good temp range for the Harris Wharf coats? I like the style of the pressed wool overcoats, but am wondering if I can get away with an unlined coat in Rochester. Temps won't often go too much below 10-20°F (so -12 to -5°C) and I have gloves, scarf and hat. I don't need to be outside for long periods of time, so a full Loden isn't necessary, but I do want something that stops the wind and has some weight.

I'm super happy with mine yet it is quite light (it's not a heavy fabric) allowing for layering. I went and got the patagonia down vest to use underneath and it'll do for temps down to 0 to -5 but i would wear it for longer time outdoors once it hits the -1.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say if you're wearing an overcoat over dress clothes, a layering approach just doesn't work. That's fine for casual dress. But an overcoat for your dress shirt/tie/suit shouldn't require a down coat underneath. That would, IMO, look bad.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
With your budget I would go with https://www.walkerslater.com/menswear/menswear-tweed/tweed-overcoats

For just 500 usd you got a Harris Tweed overcoat ... It will last you a lifetime and you will be able to pass it to your kids. I just discovered the brand a few weeks ago when Hugo Jacomet from Parisian Gentleman aknowledged the brand in one of his video about top 5 brands for quality suits on a budget. I ordered some cashmere pants a few days ago ...

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a S&M overcoat. It hits just above my knee.

I live in Saskatchewan, usually only outside for 5-10 minutes at a time. Often wearing thick shawl collar cardigan and a thick OCBD, and I'm usually warm most winter.

If you're a first time buyer and you're interested, hit me up via PM. I can get you 20% off, and I get $20 in credit.

That'd be around $360USD for you I think.

l1782560-ia-585-1.1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads