• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Overcoat colour

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm thinking of having a new overcoat commissioned but can't decide on whether to go with the charcoal grey or midnight blue. I want something I can wear with either navy, charcoal, or earth-tone suits, black or brown shoes/gloves and a variety of scarves. Will Navy look odd with midnight blue (as in look like I'm wearing a navy suit with a black overcoat)? Any thoughts on which would be the better choice in terms of sheer versatility?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with the grey goes with anything. I have one safely bagged against months at present. Get a lot of wear out of it in winter. The midnight blue does sound nice and wouldn't look too out of place with the attire you have described.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tobacco brown would look hot...........also something different.

ecclespeccles

Reaction score
i also like brown for overcoats, looks good with grey and earth tones, also with navy if dark enough

glowell222

Reaction score
A deep, rich burgundy is my favorite colour for an overcoat, and will go with pretty much any colour suit you care to wear.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
I have been a fan of all the charcoal chesterfields popping up this season, always a great look. I would normally say blue, but that is also why my closets are overflowing with all shades of the color.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
camel or grey.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate all the colour suggestions, but I'm really only considering charcoal or midnight blue. As awesome as a burgundy overcoat sounds I need something that will be funeral appropriate (just in case).

Sazerac

Reaction score
The deep tobacco brown mentioned above would be gorgeous. Deep browns go with more or less everything.

EDIT: all right, then charcoal.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased an overcoat this weekend. I thought I wanted charcoal, but I tried on a herringbone grey coat and as much as I tried to convince myself that the charcoal was the way to go, my eyes, my girlfriend, and even the sales lady convinced me to go with the herringbone.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently had to make the same decision and I went with the charcoal, I felt it would be the more versatile of the two. Rather than a plain charcoal I've gone with a fabric which has a faint glen check, to make it a bit more interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 72 30.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 46 19.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 17 7.2%