• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoat Advice

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been looking to get my first overcoat. I have tried on a Theory belvin, but am not sure how I feel about the length. It hit me just above the knee. Another one I am considering is the Hugo Boss Camlow. http://www.hugoboss.com/us/camlow-virgin-wool-cashmere-straight-coat/hbna50320376.html

I am wanting opinions on how you all feel this would look over a suit?

It would look fine, but I'm not crazy about the style. Prefer something like this....and much better quality
http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/inde...ingbone-raglan-sleeve-overcoat-600g-wool.html

Dixie07

Reaction score
Would you say the boss camlow would be "less formal" than the one you sent me the link to?

SamAdams59

Reaction score
I too would go with an overcoat rather than the boss coat you are looking at if you're going to wear it with a suit. The boss coat will look "fine", but it won't really look great in my opinion. I think an overcoat with a nice scarf is the way to go in winter, and looks great as well.

Dixie07

Reaction score
Besides the link already provided, what are some other overcoats I should look at?

albertcross

Reaction score
agree that's not a sharp overcoat. go for a double breast overcoat. over a suit they look gorgeous.

Dixie07

Reaction score
Is a single breasted overcoat with a covered button panel considered more formal than buttons exposed? What are opinions of a 3/4 coat being worn with a nice pair of jeans and a blazer/sport coat?

Reaction score
I just bought myself my first "real" overcoat. Hits me just above the knee which i find superbly looking! Just get something that fits well, i guess that's the basics of a good coat. Maybe avoid buying your first one off the web since you can't really try it - unless you know your size, then I guess just go for it. GL

Found this site while reading up on overcoats: http://www.mygentlemenstyle.com/2016/10/29/mens-overcoats/ -found it pretty useful maybe it can be of interest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads