• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overall "look" of CT shoes?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how to best put this so that someone will be able to answer, but what is the profile like on these? I find most AE shoes too chunky and stubby looking for my taste. I much prefer the look of something like Ferragamo, where it is a longer, sleeker, lower shape, but the toe isn't pointy the way it might be on some "designer" shoes. What is the overall shape and look of the CT shoe like? The reason something like AE doesn't work for me is that I am tall and lean, and have my suits tailored to be slim, though not tight. A sleeker, slightly elongated shoe works best for me. I love the pic of these: http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/productMSB...&level3=Formal

Not sure how they'd look on me though.

coachvu

Reaction score
I haven't seen these in person, but I'd be hesitant to judge simply from a side view. Also, you may want to stop by a store with a large selection of AE. I think their quality is much better than CT, and some of their lasts are rather pointy. Sure, they may not be quite like Ferragamo shoes, but they certainly have models that should go with your overall look.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I like those too. A shame they're not available in brown calf. The reviews of the non-calf black leather have been pretty poor.

Overall, I'd say the Tyrwhitt shoes are a bit a more elegant in shape than most AEs.

Well, with the 40% off, the calf shoes are actually affordable (as in they aren't super expensive, and sort of worth the price). I may be able to spend $300 on a pair of shoes if I want, but they had better be an absolutely amazing pair of shoes, and should probably retailed for $500+ and just be sitting at Off 5th or Nordstrom Rack waiting for me
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some of the new CT shoes appear to be on different lasts than the old lineup were. Based on my limited experience with the old ones I'd agree they are similar if a little more elegant/less clunky than AEs, in general. The newer ones are looking even better, IMO. (Slimmer waists, slightly squared toe, etc.)

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Some of the new CT shoes appear to be on different lasts than the old lineup were. Based on my limited experience with the old ones I'd agree they are similar if a little more elegant/less clunky than AEs, in general. The newer ones are looking even better, IMO. (Slimmer waists, slightly squared toe, etc.)
By squared toe, I am assuming you are talking about a bit of a chiseled toe, not something resembling a Kenneth Cole cement block, right? Also, does someone have a good link to a thread about ct sizing?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's the sale frenzy thread. As I recall, there's a lot of sizing discussion there. In short, the gist is that if you're in the U.S., considering the U.S. sized shoes, drop down at least an additional half size.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...light=Tyrwhitt

Bear in mind that if the new shoes are on new lasts, it might throw things off. (Same is true about my comments about the black leather ... If a new manufacturer is making them, maybe it won't be as bad.)

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
By squared toe, I am assuming you are talking about a bit of a chiseled toe, not something resembling a Kenneth Cole cement block, right?

Also, does someone have a good link to a thread about ct sizing?

Loake's are between AE and Ferragamo in terms of sleekness of lasts. I saw the new ones and do not believe that they are on different lasts than the previous versions. The new cherry wholecut seems exactly like the Norwich, except the Norwich actually looks sleeker at the tow due to the cherry wholecut's huge medallion. I'll drop by Tyrwhitt on the way home and confirm if the new shoes are on different lasts or not.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that, with CT, you will get somewhat more elegant styling than with A-E. In the past (and I assume this still holds), they have been made by Loake. This means that they will reflect the British shoe esthetic, but will be of lesser quality than some other British makers like Crockett & Jones, for example. On the quality continuum, running from poor to excellent, Loake (and, hence, CT) are seen to fall below most of the other British makers and below A-E, although I would hesitate to portray them as super low-quality. They can probably be seen as average or slightly below.

The term "high shine" may be an indication that these shoes are made of corrected-grain leather--that would be my guess. In any color other than black, this has some serious disadvantages vis-a-vis appearance of the leather, but in black, it's hard to see this as much of a disadvantage. They will be shiny and can be maintained that way. One other thing to take note of: the listing mentions G width for these shoes. This is quite wide--probably corresponding to the US E width at the very least, and possibly EE.

In sum, if you like the look of these shoes (and need a shiny black shoe in your collection), can get them at a very good sale price, and have a wide foot, these could be a good buy.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger

One other thing to take note of: the listing mentions G width for these shoes. This is quite wide--probably corresponding to the US E width at the very least, and possibly EE.

And I thought that getting the 'G-fit' would just make me 'gangsta.'

Also, the G fits are separate, and all of those come as regular width too.

etl

Reaction score
btw... the Madison store only carries regular widths.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by E. Tage Larsen
btw... the Madison store only carries regular widths.

This is true of 7th Ave. too, although they can special order wides.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads