1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Over the Calf Socks...who's the best?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by damonallan, Jun 27, 2006.

1. damonallan

damonallan Well-Known Member

Hey Friends:

In your opinion, from experience, who is the best over the calf sock producers. I have had some good fortune with Pantherella. Anyone try Falke? My Pantherellas started to wear out in the toe one year later. That's a lot of wear...

Thanks!

2. marc237

marc237 Senior member

I realize it is a different grade of sock, but for the OTC, I have success with Gold Toe.

3. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here are my favorites....

Pantharella
    Paul Stuart
    Breciani
    Ben Silver

4. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Senior member

I'm a big fan of Pantharella. Calzificio are pretty good too

5. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

I have started wearing OTC socks from:
    Pantherella
    Dore Dore
    Brooks Brothers.

I have not worn any label long enough to draw any conclusions. But, I think Brooks (the sized socks available only at 346) offer great value.

I also recently picked up a pair of JPress OTC socks, but have yet to try them out. They seem to be high quality.

6. di Robilant

di Robilant Member

I wear only (just below the) knee-length socks ; it is a most egregious style faux pas to reveal an expanse of hairy leg .

Now , if you insist upon natural fibres - e.g. , cotton or wool (although I sometimes wear also linen or silk) - as do my Italian confreres , I don't think that you can do much better than Bresciani . I like them for several reasons , not least because they are discreetly patterned .

My problem is that I have over-developed calf muscles : many cotton and woolen socks do not stretch sufficiently (or they tear) for me to be able to wear them confidently (in the knowledge that they won't roll down) . So , I often resort to Ralph Lauren or Cole Haan , which contain a little nylon (or similar) , enabling the hose to stretch and hug the calves comfortably . The problem is , of course , that man-made fibres do not 'breathe' .

So , here's a secret I've discovered : WOLFORD . Yes , Wolford , the store in which , if you're lucky enough , your wife or girlfriend buys her hosiery . They carry a small selection of men's socks ; they're all solid colours , but they feel like the softest velvet and they're very hard-wearing . Yes , they're expensive , but they also stay put all day long and without cutting-off your circulation .