1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Over Polishing Shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Trojanman74

Trojanman74 Senior member

does anyone have any reccomendations on brand of baby shampoo?

i over polished a pair of tan AE's with kiwis tan shoe polish and i have this darker spot on one spot of the shoe. anyone think the shampoo technique would help?

2. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

I've switched away from Polish to neutral cream on all my shoes. I used to polish my shoes all the time and the brown polish would turn the creases yellow as soon as I started walking because there was so much build up in the creases.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I've switched away from Polish to neutral cream on all my shoes. I used to polish my shoes all the time and the brown polish would turn the creases yellow as soon as I started walking because there was so much build up in the creases.
    Neutral wax is not recommended for shell shoes. It has a tendency to leave a white residue.

4. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Perhaps baby shampoo is gentler?

WJTW

Not sure about baby shampoo, but when I was going to wax my car with Zaino, they recommended using Dawn dish soap to remove any natural Carnauba wax before applying the Zaino. So maybe Dawn is another alternative to stripping wax off shoes.

5. LesterSnodgrass

LesterSnodgrass Senior member

Wax only on occasion; cream and/or conditioner application should be regular. In my experience to much polish is a byproduct of failing to buff out/remove it completely.

IMO, proper care is learned by practice and experience -- not on SF. It's kind of like knowing how much tequila is to much (from those FEW times you consumed it in excess).

6. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Neutral wax is not recommended for shell shoes. It has a tendency to leave a white residue.

I only have leather, no shell, so this was in regards to leather. Also, I thought there was a difference between wax and cream?

7. WestIndianArchie

WestIndianArchie Senior member

Not sure about baby shampoo, but when I was going to wax my car with Zaino, they recommended using Dawn dish soap to remove any natural Carnauba wax before applying the Zaino. So maybe Dawn is another alternative to stripping wax off shoes.

+1 for Zaino. Although I do miss putting Zymol on my car with my fingers.

8. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

does anyone have any reccomendations on brand of baby shampoo? i over polished a pair of tan AE's with kiwis tan shoe polish and i have this darker spot on one spot of the shoe. anyone think the shampoo technique would help?
    Go through Ron riders post on antiquing . Referencing cereme alpina etc from Francos ... HTH Speed

9. Champagnelifestylenomoney

Champagnelifestylenomoney Senior member

I also always apply polish before wearing shoes outside for the first time, especially for lighter coloured leathers in order to offer some protection against discolouring from rainwater for example.