• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Over Polishing Shoes?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you can over polish your shoes? I usually polish my shoes once every 2-3 wears but i usually try to polish all my brown shoes at the same time even if i have only worn them once is this a bad practice? Can i over polish my shoes, and every 2-3 wears is that how often the should be polished? (they usually have a few marks and have lost there shine by then so i polish)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I usually buff them between wearings to restore the shine and give them a real going over every 5 or so wearings, or before something important, whichever comes first. Having only recently added some brown shoes to my arsenal, I don't know yet how they will react, but it seems that most people like the patina they acquire from wearing and polishing a lot.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can over-polish them. Overwax them, yes, but if it's calfskin, I wouldn't worry. Cordovan leather is a different story.

drljva

Reaction score
I don't think you can over-polish them.  Overwax them, yes, but if it's calfskin, I wouldn't worry.  Cordovan leather is a different story.
What about for new shoes? I seem to recall someone on this board (or perhaps it was AA...) saying that they polish a new shoe 20 (.) times before wearing them for the first time. Was this said in jest, or is there some wisdom in this practice? Thanks.

auto90403

Reaction score
i don't polish my shoes until they clearly need it. in the meantime, every few weeks, i apply some leather conditioner. it goes on and gets buffed with the excess removed without the shoes requiring a fresh polishing.

Phil

Reaction score
Very true about cordovan leather, its very easily to overpolish it. I think you can still over polish calfskin, to a degree. You will notice it in the creases, where you will see a buildup of polish. Not a good look. Antiquing and patina come from polish, but it also comes from general wear. I have a pair of EGs that have acquired a burnish mark on the right heel. Its not from polish, its from rubbing on the carpet of my car when I am driving since I hold my foot in a weird way. Also, my pair of EG Warwick boots, in acorn antique, darken simply by my rubbing hard on the leather with a cloth. No polish needed.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I polish my calf shoes after every wearing. I was taught to do so by my military father. And I have never seen a better polish than on his shoes. In conclusion: over-polishing? there is no such thing.

Phil

Reaction score
you bring up a good point. I meant to say you can APPLY too much polish. I agree with you, and I have the same policy. I shine my shoes after every wear, most of the time. I very thin layer of polish though. It shouldnt be slathered on.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can over-polish them.  Overwax them, yes, but if it's calfskin, I wouldn't worry.  Cordovan leather is a different story.
I would worry a bit, if you wax 2-3 times a week, you should consider stripping the old wax off every once in a while, the shine will begin to fade over time if you do not.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you bring up a good point. I meant to say you can APPLY too much polish. I agree with you, and I have the same policy. I shine my shoes after every wear, most of the time. I very thin layer of polish though. It shouldnt be slathered on.
absolutely. What causes shoes to shine is many many very very thin layers of polish.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always polish a new pair of shoes before wearing them. Wax polish increases the shine and provides some protection for the shoes.

geosync

Reaction score
Is there a preferred way to remove wax from shell cordovan? Venetian Shoe Cream? Acetone?

cosme62

Reaction score
lighter fluid or baby shampoo, then re apply thin coats, a dab of water between coats let stand for 2 hours then brush, polish, buff with a nylon stocking over your brush ez as 1 2 3 :)

Phil

Reaction score
I dont know if the baby shampoo thing was a joke, but I tried it last night on a pair of very old, very waxy cordovan boots I own, and man did it work wonders. I had nothing to lose, since I hardly wear them anymore. I used a white cloth to apply the shampoo and the white cloth had turned a dark brown by the time I stripped off all the wax. The boots look brand new, it was fairly amazing. Thanks for the tip.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics