1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

"over-dressing" for interviews

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GQgeek, Aug 26, 2002.

1. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

The dictionary definition of "bespoke" is "made to order." If someone submitted or commissioned an original design for cufflinks, or modified an existing design as a custom-only variation, I'd accept that they were bespoke.

2. ulf

ulf Well-Known Member

I think I saw somewhere that bespoke comes from "spoken for". Your answer is correct but I'm wondering if there's more to it? Dictionaries don't always explore the finer nuances...

Made to order and bespoke is the same thing? How do you distinguish between made to measure/order and "real" tailoring (as in traditional Savile row) linguistically? Is it all simply "not standard retail", so to speak, and therefor bespoke?

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think all these words are pretty exchangeable with each other. Ozvald Boateng, one of the "new men" in Saville Row calls his ready-to-wear range "Bespoke Couture", they are neither bespoke nor couture. I don't think any of the words has any meaning in itself (and no legal protection), the terms are defined by the convention of a particular line of business.

4. ulf

ulf Well-Known Member

Alright, guys. Thanks for clearing that up.

5. Joe G

Joe G Senior member

I very well could be wrong. I designed a few cufflinks and had them made out of billet aluminium at a custom wheel shop. Only cufflinks they've ever made, and probably the only ones they ever will. [​IMG] Peace, JG

6. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

Can cufflinks be bespoke?
    I...had them made out of billet aluminum at a custom wheel shop.
    So, even if they're not bespoke, they might be spokes. [​IMG]